1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Tweaks (Downloading updates and files)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cmcnally, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

Some minor odd behavior from Windows XP SP2 lately. Everytime I startup, I get a Downloading Windows updates icon in the Notification Area. It doesn't seem to actually download anything and dissappears fairly quickly.

Also, when I download a file, I've stopped getting a prompt asking if I want to Open the file or Close the Dialogue box. Any quick tweaks to fix these?

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

it does download. It downloads and automatically installs.

as for the download i would not know. Look in Options in IE

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The 2nd problem you described is fixed by changing the options for each of the file extensions you're downloading.

Open My Computer. Click Tools -> Folder Options, and click the File Types tab. Locate one of the file extensions you're downloading, highlight it, and click the Advanced button. Check the option "Confirm open after download".

You have to repeat this for each file extension.

4. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

thanks for teaching me somethinh new DoubleHelix

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

6. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions all. The 2nd problem was actually right in front of me. Somehow, the option for "Close Dialogue Box After Download" had gotten checked. When I removed it, I got the Open prompt I'm used to.

As for the Windows updates, I don't think they are actually downloading and installing automatically. The issue (and it's very minor) is that at startup, the Icon appears every time. I turn off every night, so I really don't think there are new updates once a day. In fact, I know there aren't because my other machines don't do this. Maybe there is an update that is being redownloaded and installed. I remember having that problem once using Windows 98 SE. Or maybe the icon just pops up as it is checking for updates and the slower-than-it-used-to-be startup is why I've begun noticing it. Anyway not a big issue, but curious if anyone knows definitively.

7. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

i get that aswell. the icon comes and disappears. I look on windows update history and it says its installed.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482166

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice