1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows / Ubuntu Dual boot - one off boot options

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Damonc, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Damonc

Damonc Thread Starter

First Name:
    Damon
    Hi,
    I've got my PC setup with Windows 7 / Ubuntu 14 dual-boot, with Windows 7 currently set as default. I'm interested to know if its possible to have a shortcut or something in either (or both) OS's that tells grub to boot from the other operating system for the next boot only? - I'm wanting to do it the along the same lines as Apple did with Bootcamp and switching between Windows and OSX so that I'm able to restart my PC into different OS's remotely.

2. mpeet611

mpeet611

What you want to do is not possible in windows or ubuntu because bootcamp is an apple only program. If you want to use both Windows & Ubuntu at the same time you can install a virtual machine program like Virtual Box into one OS & reinstall the other OS in Virtual Box. This is the closest your going to get to apple's bootcamp. In your current setup if you want to use ubuntu you gotta select it when your asked to choose an OS at startup.

3. Damonc

Damonc Thread Starter

First Name:
    Damon
    I know boot camp is an apple only program. You've misread what I wrote. I said "along the lines of..." Not that I wanted to use it. I'm looking for something that might have been able to pass commands to grub to select an operating system.

Thanks, I know what virtual machines are, but it's not what I'm after.

4. mpeet611

mpeet611

As far as i know the only way to select what OS you want to use is to choose it from the list that automatically comes up when you turn on the computer.

5. Damonc

Damonc Thread Starter

First Name:
    Damon
  6. mpeet611

mpeet611

It doesn't hurt to try it & see if it works. I would make a system restore point in windows before you start so if something goes wrong you can easily undo whatever went wrong.

7. Damonc

Damonc Thread Starter

First Name:
    Damon
    I've found this program. Will have to do a bit more reading, but will do what I need. Setting Ubuntu as default I can use the program to change to windows for "next boot only".. Then of course I can restart again to get back to Ubuntu.

http://de.mcbf.net/david/grubchoosedefault/

8. mpeet611

mpeet611

It sounds identical to your first link but all of the hard work is already done for you.

9. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You could always edit the MENU.LST before you reboot, but you would have to re-edit afterwards to change back.
    Perhaps if you put an edit in the boot sequence to change it to the wanted default then just change it when you want the change.
    or put a temporary menu.lst higher in the boot search sequence.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice