1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows unable to load; corrupted file?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by El_Glyndo, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. El_Glyndo

El_Glyndo Thread Starter

Hi all,

Yesterday I came across a tech-help website that demonstrated a way for me to clear my memory without having to restart my computer. As I leave it on for days at a time it seemed like a really good idea, so like an idiot, I did it.

This is the link to the instructions I followed: http://www.spence.nu/blog/?m=200707

Now, I can't even load Windows. When the computer starts up, I get the BIOS info screen and then this error message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

It sounds really bad!

What can I do to fix this? I don't have any system recovery disks for the computer and I don't want to do a clean format as I've a lot of uni work on there that I'll lose.

By the way, I'm using the other computer on my home network. They're both XP SP2 - could I just copy the files from this computer onto the broken one?

2. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

3. El_Glyndo

El_Glyndo Thread Starter

I don't have any disks for the computer. There weren't any supplied when I bought it; instead there were links on the desktop to create recovery disks and I just never bothered.

Would any XP disk work? I'm fairly sure the second computer has an XP disk. Could I use that on the broken computer and then just enter the correct serial number?

4. El_Glyndo

El_Glyndo Thread Starter

The broken computer is an Advent T9306. The computer I'm using at the moment is a Dell Dimension 2400.

I'm going to use the reinstallation CD provided by Dell to hopefully fix the problems on my Advent computer. Is this a wise course of action?

5. El_Glyndo

El_Glyndo Thread Starter

I had some issues with my computer (http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/642191-windows-unable-load-corrupted-file.html). Since then I've discovered that there is an in-built system recovery on my (Advent) computer; I used that to restore XP. Now, however, I get the following error message:

"Error - lsass.exe
    When trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the current value provided as the current password is not correct."

I don't have any passwords on my computer as I'm the only one using it. Does anyone know what I can do to remedy this?

I don't have an XP CD.

6. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

You cannot. You need the password you originally set, period. Anything else will not do.

If you don't think you set one, try a blank password.

7. El_Glyndo

El_Glyndo Thread Starter

I'm not even given an option of entering any password! :mad:

The computer follows the normal boot procedure, up until the Welcome screen. This is when the error message appears. I don't even have time to click OK; the computer just reboots automatically.

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

The other thing is the windows recovery or restore disk set, you absolutely need them and with out them there is nothing that can be done. I would suggest that you either contact the manufacturer of the computer and order a set or if the computer is not an original manufacturer like Compaq, Dell etc then go to the computer store and purchase a Windows Install disk of the proper version for your computer.

Ther lsass.exe error is probably causing the password problem and if it is then we can help you but if it is not then because of the rules here at TSG about password help we will not be able to help you with a password problem. Please to run the following:

To download HJTsetup.exe from TrendSecure To Download HijackThis go to the following at the File Repository
    Click on the link below to Download HijackThis Self Installer:

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/HJTInstall.exe

Save the file to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
    Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
    A security expert with a gold shield to the right of their name should take a look at your log - please be patient.

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

endfro, sending members to crack sites is not a good thing to do here at TSG... Please to read the TSG rules.

Tech Support Guy Site Rules
    http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

For this reason I am sure this post you put in will probably be deleted.

10. El_Glyndo

El_Glyndo Thread Starter

I can't get into Windows to download HJT. I already have a copy on the computer, but I can't access any part of Windows at all. The computer attempts booting up and gets to where the Welcome screen would be and then the screen turns black and the error message appears. About half a second after that, the computer restarts.

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I suggest since you do not have the windows software to follow the first part of my post

The other thing is the windows recovery or restore disk set, you absolutely need them and with out them there is nothing that can be done. I would suggest that you either contact the manufacturer of the computer and order a set or if the computer is not an original manufacturer like Compaq, Dell etc then go to the computer store and purchase a Windows Install disk of the proper version for your computer.

ou have to have the proper tools to fix the computer and since you can not access Windows you need them.

12. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Excuse me mr. moderator but that's NOT A CRACK SITE. That tool is a legit SAM password recovery tool.

13. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Of course you are. When you install XP, it builds the default admin account and ASKS for a password. IT will then allow you to create an account and then SET a password for any accounts you create. If you missed it or decided you didn't want it, then likely the passwords are blank or windows generated.

You need the old password if you wish to change it. Go to the user's in control panel and update passwords there, as you normally do.

14. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Here is a little part of the post from endfro

boot off that cd and it will crack any password inside your SAM file. Though I do not know if it will contain the password you are looking for.

Sorry but it is a crack he even says so. and there is no need for any argument also I am not a Moderator.

15. El_Glyndo

El_Glyndo Thread Starter

What I meant was I'm not given an option of entering a password when I try to boot into Windows now.

XP was already installed when I bought the computer, it was an OEM version. When I set up the accounts I left the administrator and my accounts with no password as I am the only person who uses the computer.

I'm unable to do anything to the computer because as soon as it loads into the beginning of Windows (the Windows XP logo and that little blue bar running left to right) the black screen and error message appears and the computer restarts!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/642191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice