Windows unable to locate mem-key driver

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jelleym

I'd appreciate if someone can please advise.

I just purchased a Dell system, and need to transfer data from my Compaq Presario to the new system.

I downloaded a Windows '98 Memorykeydriver into My Download Files, so that my system should recognize my newly purchased Dell USB Memory Key.

I then inserted the Dell mem-key, whereupon, the new hardware wiz displayed, & I proceeded as follows:

Add New Hardware Wizard

This wiz searches for new drivers for:
Unknown Device

Next

Search for best drivers...

Next

Specify Location:
C:\My Download Files\Memorykeydriver

Next

Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device

If you do not want to install a driver now, click Next
To search again, click Back
(I clicked Cancel)

What should I do now?

If you have the 98 cdrom then try the whole process with in in the drive and in specific location box direct it to the d drive which is the windows 98 cd

jelleym

Originally posted by motherboard:
If you have the 98 cdrom then try the whole process with in in the drive and in specific location box direct it to the d drive which is the windows 98 cd
???

Try changing this line

Specify Location:

to this

Specify Location:
C:\My Download Files\

jelleym

Originally posted by NiteHawk:
Try changing this line

Specify Location:

to this

Specify Location:
C:\My Download Files\
NiteHawk, that's what I had done originally, & it gave the same message, whereupon I added Memorykeydriver to the pathname.

BTW, the file listing of Memorykeydriver reads exactly as below (i.e. I don't see any .exe listed in there). Shouldn't there be some sort of .exe file?

LEXARUSB.SYS
LEXARPD.PDR
LexarUSB.inf
Eula.txt

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online