1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows unable to read files on cd

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by A-B, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. A-B

A-B Thread Starter

I put a new system together for my son:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA78LM-S2H

Processor:
    AMDAthlon X2 5000+
    Memory: 2GB Crucial DDR2 800
    Onboard video
    IDE Hard Drive
    IDE HP DVD writer
    Windows xp Home

I was able to install windows without any problems. I then went to install the MB drivers. I put the cd in the drive and let it autorun. It opened as a music cd and the only file on the cd was a small cda file. Ok I though I must have gotten a bad cd. I went to gigabytes website and downloaded the latest drivers and burned them to cd on another pc. I bring that cd to the new build and same thing. The files show up as a small cda file. I bring the cd back to 2 other pc’s and they both are able to read the cd and see the driver files. I then place the windows xp cd in the drive on the new build and it is also read as a small cda file. I then reboot the new build pc and boot from the windows xp cd and it reads the disc fine. So the dvd drive works fine and the media is fine. What is wrong with my windows installation????

I have tried mr fixit but it did not work. I have looked for the upper and lower filters in the registry and they did not exist. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Test whether it makes a difference if you use CD's or DVD's. Do you have another drive to try?

How old is the drive? You might also look for updated firmware for it, or give us the make/model.

3. A-B

A-B Thread Starter

It makes no difference between cds and dvd's. The drive is an old hp 200. I believe it was one of the first dvd burners. It's firmware was flashed with RICOH firmware. (At the time, RICOH was 2 to 3 generations ahead of hp in releasing firmware. They were the OEM for this particular drive). The drive appears ok in device manager. It works fine to install windows. It worked fine in previous systems. I hooked up an external usb cd drive to this system and got the same result.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try reflashing it with the manufacturer's firmware. The only time I ever had this happen was when I used a cross-flash on a drive and used firmware from a different manufacturer.

5. A-B

A-B Thread Starter

I appreciate the reply but as I said Ricoh was the manufacturer. The drives were only marketed by HP. The firmware has been working fine for years and still works, just not in windows at the moment.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is the exact model? Even firmware that has been good a long time can be corrupted. A good test would be to download and boot up a copy of Knoppix. The CD will load an operating system to memory (without affecting your hard drive). If the media appear OK in Knoppix, then you will know that it is Windows that is the culprit.

Another boot CD that you could use that may later be more useful to you for fixing Windows or recovering files and lost partitions is Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice