1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows update | Administrators only?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by sinsation, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sinsation

sinsation Thread Starter

I just tried going to the windows update at http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp and I get a screen saying I must be an administrator before I can install updates. 0.o

Here's the actual message:

I tried changing my pc type from network server to desktop computer, rebooted and that didn't solve the problem.

--edit
    I did look for this problem in the search, I did find it however it was for me/2000/xp etc. I'm running on 98SE.

2. $teve

$teve

there is your answer:D

have a nice day:)

3. sinsation

sinsation Thread Starter

Is that supposed to mean I can't use windows update until I update my windows version?

4. $teve

$teve

im not sure but i think microsoft have ended their win98 support.

ah! yes.found the info.http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;w98
    In accordance with the Microsoft Product Support Lifecycle, no-charge support for Windows 98 will end on July 1, 2003. Paid-only support will continue to be available from Microsoft at $35 per incident. Support will also be available from some third party providers.

5. wedor

wedor

MS did something to the update site and now I haven't been able to get any 98 systems to update, they claim there are work arounds, but none of them actually work.

There is no mention at the update site of a problem due to expired support.

6. sinsation

sinsation Thread Starter

Aha well crap. Compared to my WinMe, 98SE is the more stable of the two.

7. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

I believe that due to lagging sales of XP and a huge Windows 98 user base, M$ has extended support for Win98 into sometime in the first quarter of 2004. Not sure of the exact cut off date, but it may well be extended again by that time.

Aside from Windows NT and W2K, used mostly in the business community, Windows 98 has become Microsoft's most popular and enduring product. The user base even includes people that have 'upgraded' to 98 from ME. And even in some cases users that have moved from XP back to 98.

Think of it, 18 different versions (to the best of my knowledge) of windows (plus service packs) and 98(SE) still endures.

8. sinsation

sinsation Thread Starter

Oh god, I bsod'd on ME so much it wasn't funny. Weren't there actually two releases? One buggy as hell and a 2nd supposedly less buggy?

I had a talk with a tech support friend of mine and he runs 98SE as well, although both of us are in agreement that if Linux was as versatile as Windows as far as programs and such go, we'd switch.

9. TOGG

TOGG

I'm running Win 98 (FE) and have no trouble using the Update site. It appears MS think you're using XP!!

If you know the name/number(s) of the patch you need, you can get it/them as .exe files from the catalog site and install them later;

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

Select your OS and then click on the 'Advanced search' option and choose the period of time you want to go back and the type of update you want.

10. sinsation

sinsation Thread Starter

FE? Haven't heard of it.
    The catalog site does it to me too. Any idea why it would think I'm using xp? Maybe it's time I finally upgraded.

Would it be worth it to re-install my WinMe and just take suggested steps to fix the problems I was having? The first time I was on a puny little 4gig, now I have a 30gig and I have seen that hd size makes a bit of a difference.

11. $teve

$teve

FE = "final edition".........you know,the one before the last five:D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice