1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update and other Download Installation Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hitman_in_wi, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hitman_in_wi

hitman_in_wi Thread Starter

Well, I formatted and reinstalled a second time, thinking maybe the first reinstallation was bad. However, I am having the same download problems I was having after the first reinstallation. (By reinstallation I mean deleting all partitions, formatting the HD, and installing XP)

The .Net framework update stops downloading after 3.4Mb. (I had trouble downloading this update after the first reinstallation as well)

The HighMAT Support in CD Writing Wizard update stops downloading after 640Kb. (I didnt download this one last time so not sure)

I was having trouble downloading Java after the first reinstallation as well, as it was always stopping downloading after 4.02 Mb. This time, after the second reinstallation I went to download Java again and guess what, it stopped after 4.02 Mb...

Where do I start diagnosing this problem?? Im going crazy .

My event viewer is giving me hard disk errors, but they dont coincide with the downloads. However, maybe those errors are pointing to a deeper problem. Most of the errors are error ID - 11, with an error ID - 5 thrown in here and there. Microsoft says these errors are normally caused by a bad IDE cable. However, I replaced the cable to no avail.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. hitman_in_wi

anyone got any ideas please?

3. hitman_in_wi

Strangely enough, switching the PCI slot of the NIC fixed the problem...anyone got a shot at an explanation?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/257184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice