1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows update?? Are these for SP 1???

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by HBLEAV, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HBLEAV

HBLEAV Thread Starter

I have XP SP 1.. (NOT 2). and want to know. if these updates are for SP1.. I haven't and dont' want to install XP SP 2 - yet..

So, are these for SP1?? I couldnt' figure it out.

thanks.

Helene

Microsoft Corporation - Windows XP family

Security Update for Windows XP (KB891711)
    Typical download size: 373 KB, 2 minutes
    A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB871250)
    Typical download size: 400 KB, 2 minutes
    A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB833987)
    Download size: 1.4 MB, 4 minutes
    A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Windows and gain complete control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB841533)
    Typical download size: 491 KB, 2 minutes

Security Update for Windows XP (KB873376)
    Typical download size: 326 KB, 2 minutes

Security Update for Windows XP (KB840987)
    Typical download size: 838 KB, 3 minutes
    Multiple security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Windows and gain complete control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB841356)
    Typical download size: 1.1 MB, 4 minutes

Security Update for Windows XP (KB885835)
    Typical download size: 393 KB, 2 minutes

Security Update for Windows XP (KB888302)
    Typical download size: 330 KB, 2 minutes
    A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to remotely read information about your Windows-based system. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB890047)
    Typical download size: 905 KB, 4 minutes

Security Update for Windows XP (KB885250)
    Typical download size: 362 KB, 2 minutes
    A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to remotely compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB891781)
    Typical download size: 333 KB, 2 minutes

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB867282)
    Download size: 3.7 MB, 11 minutes
    A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB888113)
    Typical download size: 326 KB, 2 minutes

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - February 2005 (KB890830)
    Download size: 267 KB, less than 1 minute
    After the download, this tool runs once to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and automatically helps remove any variants found. After it runs, the tool is deleted from your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center or run an online version from microsoft.com. In addition to using this tool, you should use an up-to-date antivirus product to help protect your computer from other malicious software. Details...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB873333)
    Typical download size: 440 KB, 2 minutes

Security Update for Windows XP (KB890175)
    Typical download size: 540 KB, 2 minutes

Security Update for Windows XP (KB873339)
    Typical download size: 334 KB, 2 minutes

Security Update for Windows XP (KB885836)
    Typical download size: 342 KB, 2 minutes

Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool (KB873374)
    Download size: 214 KB, less than 1 minute
    The Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool helps detect the presence of Microsoft products (other than Windows) that contain the GDI+ component. Microsoft customers can run this tool to help determine if a GDI+ security update is required. Microsoft recommends you visit the Office Update site to determine if your computer requires security updates for Office family products. Details...

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1

2. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Thanks for asking about this Helene! ;) About the KB891711....I did a Windows Update today too and then KB891711.EXE showed up in my HJT log....I selected "fix"....I haven't had any problem with my pc since...but I wonder....was I supposed to remove that? Actually several others are wondering the same. :confused: I have WinME.

3. angelize56

4. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

5. HBLEAV

HBLEAV Thread Starter

Hi angelize 56 and and jd _957

I downloaded and installed the updates the other day..(nobody responded to the post).. so I just figured. I'd 'bite the bullet' LOL and download them all.. they were ALL critical updates.

On dial-up it took almost 3 hours.. YIKES.. but,, I hadn't downloaded any windows XP SP 1 updates - in a while.. because. I was afraid to.. thinking it would automatically take me to SP 2.. which I did not. and still don't want..

So far.. I think everything is working fine..

The article you sent.. OMG.. So much to read, and to try to comprehend.. I leave it to "you guys"... LOL..

Also, on this same subject.. Being that we'll "have to" have SP 2 on our computers..(from what I've read).. by sometime in April.. Should we/and where can we.. get the Windows SP 2 CD from????

Also, come April. or whenever, we 'have to download SP 2".. can you just imagine. how busy this tech list will be.. I'm terrified to download it.. being so many others have had such major problems with it.. But I guess we'll have no choice..???

Take care.
    Helene

6. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

7. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, And, in case you either have to reinstall everything, at any time in the future or perhaps have a friend with the same problem> You can get SP1a on a CD for $10. ((The SPTwo posted above my post is free.))

Service Pack 1a on CD:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/ordercd.mspx

Don't let this confuse you- you have already installed this, it's for someone else you may know of, or if you have another computer to get Updated, or, in the future if you have to reinstall the operating system fresh, or do a Repair Install of Windows XP. You can loan these Update CDs to friends and in fact, Microsoft encourages that you do. They send these CDs out within a week in my experience.

8. HBLEAV

HBLEAV Thread Starter

Hi and thank you.

I just ordered the CD.. I hate the thought of installing it. and I'll probably be the "last hold out".. LOL

Thanks again.
    Helene

9. TOGG

TOGG

KB891711 has caused some excitement for us reluctant upgraders over in the '98/ME Forum as well;http://forums.techguy.org:80/t338949.html

I decided not to allow it to start unless I understood why. I'm not sure if it shows up in startup for SXP SP1 users.

10. Byteman

Hi, I have gotten that 891711 update installed and one funny thing I notice is floppy drive running every so often, like it is looking for a floppy disk...this is on Win98SE.

I can be just sitting here, and the drive will start up and grind a bit,then stop. :confused:

Also, I get the same floppy action when I start up the computer.

It does show in msconfig>Startups, but I havent un-checked it yet. What's the latest?

It is also in Add/Remove Programs.

The floppy disk access is still going on, about every half hour...thinks it's a timer! When I move the cursor quickly, just mousing over links will make the floppy drive start up, too!

EDIT> Have it unchecked in msconfig now, and things are back to normal.

11. angelize56

Hi Byteman: I noticed the KB891711.EXE in my start-up again since I downloaded those Tuesday morning security updates. I'm going to uncheck it as you did and see what flies! ;) :D I think MSN gets a kick out of worrying us! ;) Take care! angel :)

12. TOGG

TOGG

Some intrepid souls have already installed this 'revised' version, apparently without problems (so far!);http://forums.techguy.org/t352467.html

I'm still concerned that the new version remains in your startups and so, presumably, runs as a separate app.

No explanation appears to have been provided for this highly unusual behaviour, so I won't be installing it in a hurry.

13. HBLEAV

HBLEAV Thread Starter

Hi.. I"m having MAJOR problems with my computer.(see my post in windows XP).. hardrive crashed.. a new one was sent. LOADED with virus/spyware.. Then more problems..(see my post) and now. I'm waiting from Dell. for a hardrive, power supply and heat sink.

But back to THIS post..

I had asked about SP 1 updates.. Well, on my "old hardrive" sigh.. they were all there.. The new drive they're sending me.. will be blank.. Tech will install (just put in the parts) and I have to install the operating system. and then call Dell for help with the drivers..

Then I was told.. before going on line. to install an antivirus.. RIGHT AWAY.

Now. I have a windows SP 1 cd.. which came with EZ trust anti-virus(2nd cd in package).. Also have the SP2 one.(which I'm not ready to tackle.)..

Should I install my SP1 - from the cd rom they sent me. AND.. should I install EZ trust anti-virus..

today. I bought (might return it)..at Staples.. Virus Defense Internet System.. (by Panda).. packaged by Staples.. but it was 69.99..

IF.. the EZ trust is 'acceptable".. should I install that. and then do the critical updates from the SP1 disc.. and then download Ad-aware, spybot, spyware guard and spyware blaster,, OR.. should I install this defense internet system. cause it has it all installed.

When I "tried" to install the other day. with the hardrive they sent me.. I had OVER 1580.. in my adaware, and they were multiplying each time I ran it.. between that nite.. and the next morn. I was up over 2000.. and the computer is basically unoperable..Sometimes, I can get on line.. sometimes, I can't..

I did try to download spybot.. but l/2 way thru.. it said "corrupt file".. UGh

Any suggestions. on the SP 1 disc, and anything else,, I'd really appreciate.

thanks.
    helene

14. Byteman

Hi Helene, I had that same eTrust package more than a year ago-- I don't think it will give you the antivirus updates now, but it might> I will hunt for some word about that.. There was a firewall included, which worked fine on my win98SE computer. It was a one year free trial so let me see what I can find, I will post it in a reply here.

It sounds like you managed to catch some of the latest malware> there is one around (Spywad) that does create thousands of files, and that is just one of the newer baddies.

My personal record for objects detected by AdAware on a client's computer is 3,481. One teenage son's work, he "collected" X rated material and used file sharing networks. That was done with AdAware 6 in May 2004.
    And, it was taken after some malware had already been removed! That computer is running today and was not reloaded. However in your situation, you could be a lot better off with a new hard drive and a fresh install.
    You were given some good advice as to protecting the computer before you put it on the Internet...you do want to install an antivirus program, and yes you should install the SP1 from a CD if you can.
    After Windows is installed and you are getting help from Dell with drivers...I assume you mean drivers that are on Recovery CDs, not that you will have to download over the Net? Make sure you get some sort of firewall and antivirus installed before you even connect to the Internet!

Here is the offer page, the download link still works so I am pretty sure the program would still work:

http://home.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.en...lient=ComputerAssociates&sid=35715&CID=185351

This is not the newer 2005 version of eTrust antivirus..so, if that is what you have, I would use your copy. You could try the offer I posted and see if it will give you the updates for the antivirus, if not, uninstall it and put on what you have if it is a different version.

Generally, if the offer was no longer valid, they withdraw the offers, and if you had an old link to the former page, it tells you it is expired, in this case it is still working. Might be worth a try.

The Panda package you bought I am not familiar with so I cannot comment on it. Panda is a well known antivirus company, and we use their online scanner a lot at TSG. Sounds like they have also put a firewall in the deal, similar to Symantec's Norton Internet Security Suite.

Long downloads from the Internet are not what you want to be doing just after installing Windows, so I would pick something that is on CDs, which you have. I would be using something less expensive than $70 unless it was the ultimate protection and a very smooth running suite. Since I do not have the problem of worrying about losing data or files, I simply connect to the Internet through a router with cable modem, and use AVG antivirus and no firewall, however I do use popup blocker (Google Toolbar, Spybot, AdAware, IE_Spyads, Spywareblaster. ALL of these are free programs. In the past year, only a few times has anything gotten through, but was easily dealt with. There are no other users of the computer so I have the biggest problem beat right at the start! I don't neccessarily stay away from places that are capable of infecting a computer either, as I test these programs' ability quite often on one computer or the other, all with win98SE or Millenium. I think the Zango toolbar was the worst that came in....peanuts compared to what is around. Staying free from advertising junkware and malware is more in knowing what not to download, what is bad, and what to do immediately in case of an intrusion than running any kind of software.

15. HBLEAV

HBLEAV Thread Starter

Hi Byteman:
    Thanks for your reply & great advice.. I'm able to 'get on the internet" at the moment. LOL.. but who knows.. I can't shut down.. unless I manually turn the computer off.

Today, I'm supposed to be getting the hardrive, heat sink, and power supply..

My neighbor - who is a computer tech.. said that the hardrive that Dell sent me.. was probably not 'formatted' and therefore thats why it was loaded with virus and spyware.. UGH.. If thats the case.. another reason to "hate Dell" LOL

Anyway, Yes, the drivers are on my recovery disc.. When the new parts come in today/or tomorrow.. after they're installed. I will call Dell and they will talk me thru installing the drivers.. Then I'm going to try the EZ Trust anti-virus.(cause like you said, the one from Panda. is expensive).. and I really dont' want it.. cause when I get "on line".. (safely this time.. lets hope).. I will immediately download what I had on this puter before.. Which was Ad-aware ,, Spybot.. Spywareblaster, and Spyware guard.. Also, then I will use the CD and download the SP1 - (its from last year.. but I'll also go and do all the latest updates for SP 1)..

Then,, I will hopefully be okay.

I'm concerned ALOT. about after the anti-virus is installed... Will I have enough time, to download Ad-aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, and Spyware guard. and NOT have malware/spyware.. or will I be faced with it again.. Thats the "only reason".. I'm "thinking" ??? of keeping the Panda package(69.99).. so thats it all done in one shot..

But even so.. I STILL will dowload the other programs as I've always used them faithfully. and updated them whenever updates are available.. and I'm very careful about running them,, every other day or so..

I was using AVG. and that I had run every day.. every morning in fact..

I'm the only one here.. so nobody gets on my computer.. so whatever is on there, downloaded or searched for is. by me. and I'm careful of where I go.. I never go to adult sites.. So it's just me. and a good part of the time I'm on the computer.. is for this site..(as I love to learn from TSG). and have learned ALOT.. For which I thank everyone. ...

And I go to a freebie list. and my emails.. Thats about all I do.. I do have windows XP Professional.(which I'll now have to reload office - small business again).. but I never use it.

SO,, this saga continues.. Lets hope the new drive they put in. with this power supply(whatever that is) and the "heat sink" whatever That is.. LOL.. does the trick.. cause I'm really fed up , being without a computer since Monday.. I am able to get on.. only sometimes. and most times, I end up at my moms.. (shes 81 - l/2).. and lives less than 2 miles a way. so its okay.. At least she has the computer.. <smile>

thanks for your advice. and I'm going to try again.. to download AVG 7 maybe to a CD.. but I dont' think its 'going to work.. I had tried to do that the other day. and it wouldn't work..

I cant' even download Spybot on this computer now. as I get "the file is corrupt??".. Strange..

Thanks again,
    helene

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice