1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JohnWill, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator Thread Starter

Suddenly, I noticed that Windows update no longer works. I still get automatic updates, but for some reason I can't manually update things. Anyone else seen this? If you note, they're asking to install an Active-X control, but the information bar doesn't popup to allow me to continue.

I set the security back to defaults, but that didn't seem to have an effect.

Attached Files:

2. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult

John, In the pc I posted about not POSTing, I used updates just today and they went as usual.. Wonder if you can try managing Addon's to correct the Active X. (i.e. deleting the Active X addon's so it will ask for new ones) It looks like your screenshot is from IE7.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator Thread Starter

I don't see any update add-ons, at least none that I recognize. I don't know what changed to break this... It works on other machines here, so it's obviously not a connectivity issue.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Hi John, Sorry you are experiencing problems I hope the following will help.

You cannot install some updates or programs
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798/

OR try this I am told that this does work.

If this problem began as the result of a Windows Update:
    Microsoft Security Product Support Policy
    Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
    Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).
    There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.
    International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
    subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
    http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

From the:
    Microsoft Security Bulletin - Summary for August, 2006
    http://www.net-security.org/advisory.php?id=6606

Call them. They will be familiar with what update may have caused it and the resolution of the problem.

5. Whitshak

Whitshak

Hi John,

I've started having the exact same problem today. How did you go? Resolve it? It's annoying me! :mad:

Cheers,
    Jason

6. tuxmaster

tuxmaster

First set your level in security settings to a level you like then click on custom settings. Now set you activeX settings to what you prefer but make sure that You at least prompt for new ones. I just tried it on my IE7 and it works Just fine. And it has the most up to date settings.

7. Whitshak

Whitshak

Hmm.. no luck :( I turned all the Active X security settings to either "Allow" or "Prompt" wherever possible but still nothing. Exact same problem as in the screenshot above!

Really got me stumped!

8. dragjack

dragjack

could perhaps clearing the cache and IE Temp files work?

9. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    reset all security to default level and in advanced as well

10. Whitshak

Whitshak

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your help. I ended up uninstalling that last security update, plus rolling back to IE6 and rebooted. Still no luck.

I ran a system restore to go back a day before the problem started to which I was told that restore point couldn't be used. By that point I was tired and went to bed. Woke up this morning to find that all is good and Windows Update works fine :confused:

I'm baffled! So at the moment I'm in the process of upgrading back to IE7 and applying any Windows Updates.

Will let you know if all goes pear-shaped again.

Thanks again for all your help (y)

Cheers,
    Jason.

11. durant125

durant125

My problem is not the exact same but I can't manually go get updates, until I turn the Auto Update service from manual to automatic. Any way around that? I've learned that this service is a real memory hog at times.

12. Kush6

Kush6

Yes you can. I keep auto updates off and still update all the time. What error do you get?

13. elicoten

elicoten

Hi

I noticed that in the screenshot you posted there is a link specifically describing your problem. It says that "if the information bar doesn't appear or you've installed the control but still can't use this website, click here to take steps to resolve the problem".

Can you click there and see if that helps, maybe post a link to where it leads you, since I don't know what Microsoft suggest. I do know that Windows Update errors are usually quite easy to troubleshoot so perhaps the suggestions behind that link will resolve the problem.

14. durant125

durant125

Here is a pic of the error i received.

Attached Files:

15. elicoten

elicoten

I can see in the screenshot you had the services open in the background - what happens when you try to start those services?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/555520