1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update Downloading To Wrong HDD

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by barterking85, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. barterking85

barterking85 Thread Starter

Hey so I installed updates and found a weird file name (hfhfg6465gf56) just an example on my storage drive and not in my c drive. I understand when your c drive is almost full updates will install on another available hdd with more space but these are my drives for storing movies and tv shows so it's a pain to see some stupid file name.

Is there any way to stop windows from storing on other drives? And can I delete that file because it will not let me now even after I took ownership of the file.

Bare with me

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) to the desktop.

After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.

Information about your computer will appear.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

-------------------------------------------------------

3. barterking85

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) X4 750K Quad Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 16 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8135 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 114470 MB, Free - 48857 MB; E: Total - 2861458 MB, Free - 1999419 MB; F: Total - 2861458 MB, Free - 2230005 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., F2A55-M
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Am I correct in assuming you have a 120 GB(111.78 GB) C hard drive inside that computer and have two 3 TB(2794.39 GB) E and F USB hard drives connected to it?

The C hard drive appears to be about 57% full, so it still has plenty of free space.

-----------------------------------------------------

5. barterking85

That's correct c drive is 120 ssd and 2x 3tb hdd

Bare with me

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for confirming that. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------

I seriously doubt that Windows Vista is installing and displaying updates in other than its C drive.

Load the Windows Updates window, then click "View update history".

All the updates with their KB numbers will be listed there.

I personally don't use external USB hard drives, so I can't advise you why those weird file names are appearing there.

I'm guessing they're associated with backups or other functions that you're performing.

---------------------------------------------------------

7. barterking85

They are all internal sata drives. The night before last I ran windows update and it had like 90 updates (weird) but ok most were security updates and framework 4.5.1 & 4.5.2 plus updates for them. When I look at the date created on the weird file it's the exact same time as the updates.

I had another optional update today so I tried to see if the same thing would happen. I had my 3tb open while it downloaded and I seen another similar weird file after it finished the file disappeared. To me it's like it's using my storage drive to store temp files until they are downloaded then deletes it.

Bare with me

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I didn't realize all 3 of those hard drives are inside your computer.

I thought you were agreeing with what I previously said about those 3 TB hard drive being external models.

Besides never using USB external hard drives, I've never used a computer with multiple internal hard drives.

-----------------------------------------------------------

9. barterking85

That's my fault yeah they are all internal

Bare with me

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sometimes Windows will indeed place the temporary installation files onto another drive. It is not installing them to that drive, it's installing them to the drive with Windows, or in fact into the operating system. Those files can be deleted after the updates are installed and the system is rebooted. You can also run Disk Cleanup and check the option for Windows Update Files.

11. barterking85

Thanks for the reply. I have rebooted then tried to delete it and it still won't go. I ran disk cleanup on my f: drive (where the file is) but the only option to check off was recycle bin, I ran disk cleanup on the c: drive and there was no windows update files option.

Bare with me

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I've never bothered to delete them so I've never had that problem.

13. barterking85

If it was on my c drive I could care less but it's on my hdd that contains all my movies so it looks horrible and it's driving me nuts. I am a tad OCD lol

Bare with me

14. barterking85

I looked up the contents of the file and it is a framework update now that it's installed anybody know how I can delete the file or move it to the c drive??

Bare with me

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1135795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice