1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update / Driver / Installation problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BioStormX, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BioStormX

BioStormX Thread Starter

Ugh, where to start. I'm running XP Pro on a Dell Latitude c640 laptop computer

I have been having nothing but problems here. It's a friend of mine's computer.

When I first got it it was freezing no matter what - even in safe mode, command prompt, etc. It would freeze the moment I tried doing something, so the only thing I could do was reinstall windows

Well, then it wouldn't format. I tried two different copies of windows and both would freeze at about 56%.. so I ended up just reinstalling windows over the current installation (Yeah, joy)

As it happens that sort of worked, I'm now in XP and a lot of stuff is working.. yet a lot of stuff isn't, either.

First problem: Windows Update won't update. I'm able to get to the site and download the updates, or download them through automatic updating, however they will not install. The installation of the downloaded updates merely fail and say the updates could not be installed. I've tried dial-a-fix which was recommended to me, no help.

Second problem: Drivers.. I've gotten drivers from Dell's site itself yet none of the install programs work, they all give me the "Setup could not run the installation" "class not registered" deal. Some of them I was able to just select manually, but others (Like the audio driver) give me a "Cyclic redundancy check" error when trying to update the driver.

I've tried various things to work around these to no avail, it seemed like the time to ask Tech Support Guy finally, you guys can usually set me straight. :confused:

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

For the Update problem, try Re-registering the Windows Update DLL with the commands below

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 atl.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 msxml.dll
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    regsvr32 msxml2.dll
    regsvr32 qmgr.dll
    regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

For the driver install problem, try downloading the Windows INstaller update

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice