1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update Error: 0x800700C1

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kirksfam, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kirksfam

kirksfam Thread Starter

I have XP Pro. All of a sudden, I can't get Windows updates. Instead, I keep getting this error message: 0x800700C1

Can anyone help?

Thanx - kirksfam

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Can you type the exact message please?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try resetting the default security provider for your machine. That error is related to an inability to check your license.

Start the computer. Press the F8 key during startup to start the computer in Safe mode.
    Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    Delete the following keys in the Windows registry:
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers

Quit Registry Editor.
    Restart the computer.

Do you have a Dell? This can happen when Dell Assistant is installed.

4. kirksfam

kirksfam Thread Starter

Tidus4Yuna, I have pasted the entire error message below. Elvandil, I will reset the security defaults right now.

I have a Gateway, with some sort of Gateway Assistant installed. I've had the computer for over 2 years and never experienced an update problem. :confused:

Thank you both for responding. I'll let you know what happens with my reset.

kirksfam

Windows Update Error

Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page.

Select from any of the following pages for information about Windows Update services, or send us your feedback.

Windows Update Home Page
    About Windows Update
    Support Information

You can also get online support if you are having problems with Windows Update.

Send error number to Microsoft (0x800700C1)
    Note This sends error information but does not create a support incident; you may or may not receive a response.

5. kirksfam

kirksfam Thread Starter

Hey -

I tried to reset the Default Security Provider, but ... the designated keys were not in the Windows registry. I rebooted in Safe Mode, opened the Registry Editor, and looked for:

HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers

"Cryptography" wasn't there.

Then I looked for:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers

"S-1-5-20" wasn't there. ("S-1-5-18" was there, and the next one was "S-1-5-21")

I have been trying to repair the problem for a few weeks now. Maybe I previously deleted those keys during one of those tries.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks -
    kirksfam

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice