1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update error 80070005

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ddale, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ddale

ddale Thread Starter

Hi

I have never been able to get any Windows Updates, since I purchased my PC. I have tried two different anti-virus programs (currently on Virgin Media's) and have tried various 'fixes' I have found by googling the error code above.

Nothing has worked so far. It would be great if someone could help, as my PC continues to get more and more out of date.

Thanks
    Michael

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Is windows update service running
    start
    control panel
    administrative tools
    services
    windows update ?

3. ddale

ddale Thread Starter

yes, automatic updates and manual attempts get the same result - error code every time.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Click Start > Programs > Accessories > right-click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the Command Prompt, type in the bold text, one command after the other, pressing Enter between each of them:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the computer.

5. ddale

ddale Thread Starter

thanks. Tried that, but each command gets a response of either "the requested operation requires elevation", or "there's no user specified settings to reset".

6. ddale

ddale Thread Starter

sorry, I realised you had said to run the commands as Administrator, which is why they failed at first. I re-ran them successfully, have rebooted, but still get the same error code when trying to access Windows Update.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice