1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows update error 80073712

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mwanted, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mwanted

mwanted Thread Starter

:confused: its always doing this.....i have a toshiba laptop with windows vista home premium and....i want to upgrade to vista sp2 but the error: 80073712 keeps coming...and im stuck on sp1, which makes some programs crash...please help

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You should only install a service pack when your machine is running perfectly and you are sure that you have no infections. It is basically an upgrade to a new operating system, so it needs to install without any problems.

If you are having trouble getting it through Windows Update, you can download it to your desktop and install it from there.

SP1 will not make programs crash. There must be something else wrong. Give us details of the problem if you want help figuring it out.

3. mwanted

mwanted Thread Starter

well, with the problem reports and solutions thing, some of my programs crashed and it said it was because "i should upgrade to windows vista sp2" or something of the sort....

and my norton360 detected no viruses before...could u take the time and explain exactly every single step?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, the message is somewhat generic.

If you are pretty sure your system is clean, you can download SP2 HERE. Save it to your desktop and install it from there.

5. mwanted

mwanted Thread Starter

ok downloading it now....could take a while to get 348 mbs on though

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, it'll take a while even with a fast connection. I'd suggest that you burn a copy to CD so that you never have to download it again if something goes wrong with your computer, or other people need it.

7. mwanted

mwanted Thread Starter

i recently fixed 2 errors....a massive error that told me i was missing "avrt.dll" BUT i fixed that missing problem with a format, and just this morning i fixed an %APPDATA% error...im just saying if any of this could link

anyways its still installing and do i need to close every application in order for it to work?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's best to close any programs that you have running. If the installer finds any problems, it will stop and revert the system to the way it is now. You may as well give it a try and hope it works. :D

9. mwanted

mwanted Thread Starter

right ill do that after i come back from the mall=/

10. mwanted

mwanted Thread Starter

is google chrome? a running program?

11. mwanted

mwanted Thread Starter

i just scanned computer with a full pc scan...live update complete...2 risks found and fixed...freed 250mb of junk, and total disk fragmentation was 7% and gone(i think)

12. mwanted

mwanted Thread Starter

where are the replies? please someone help :(

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you install SP3 yet?

If you have installed a defragmenter, be sure to turn off Vista's. All defragmenters measure fragmentation differently and use different algorithms to rearrange files. If both are used, they will constantly fight one another, slow your machine, and wear your disk out in the process.

14. mwanted

mwanted Thread Starter

how do i turn off vista's disk fragmenter? in any case how do i open it? it was norton that detected 7% disk fragmentation...

15. mwanted

mwanted Thread Starter

i think you mean sp2, i even tried to use the stand alone installer and did what microsoft told me to do, disable all start up programs and install :(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027504

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice