1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows update error code 8007065E

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sammyjo06, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sammyjo06

sammyjo06 Thread Starter

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium on a 64 bit operating system. I haven't used this computer in over a year, but my brother has been using it since, but hasn't kept it updated at all or with any anti-virus. I was able to install everything on Windows Update except Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2621440). I've tried everything from simply restarting, rebooting in safe mode and safe mode with networking (I could not open windows update either of those ways), and doing a safe mode with networking full scan with Malewarebytes Anti-Malware, Super Anti Spyware, and Microsoft Security Essentials. I did find 2 trojans and removed them and rebooted, but was unable to install this security pack still. When I tried installing the individual version of the security pack online, it told me the update did not apply to this system. I also tried running the windows update repair tool.

On a side note, but related to the issue of trying to make the computer more secure, I made a separate administrator account and downgraded my own account to a standard user, but I'm unable to demote my brother's administrator account. His is not password protected, but there is no option to change the account type, even when I'm logged on as him or under the other administrator account I just made.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Assign a password to your brother's account. Maybe then the demotion will work.

3. sammyjo06

sammyjo06 Thread Starter

Thank you for the response. I tried assigning a password to his account, and then after I stiill did not see the option to change account type under his, I logged off his account and logged into the administrator account I created. For whatever reason, although the "change account type" option is available for both the admin account I created and my current standard user account, it's not listed next to my brother's account.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

oh well,. backup your brother's account stuff to \users\public, like his documents, music, favorites, etc and wipe away his account and create a fresh one. Then copy his stuff from public back into the proper folders.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081874

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice