1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update Failing (new install)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Tomo8281, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tomo8281

Tomo8281 Thread Starter

Hey guys n gals, just need a bit of help reading through my windows update log! Recently reinstalled win7 64x, because I wanted a nice new format before I go back to university :)! Thing is, set up my new system, then started to download updates. Restarted my PC to install these updates and when rebooting it stuck at 0% for like 5minutes then went to the welcome screen. Bit worried about this, so I went into windows update and it seems 99% of the updates failed to install! I'm thinking that there is one stubborn update that is making the rest of them fail, so I've attached my log for you guys to have a look at!

Thanks a lot,
    Tom

Attached Files:

2. iamdon

iamdon

I didn't notice that I've been getting failed updates as well until I saw this thread, so thank you for posting this issue.

What I did is I went to Windows Update and installed the updates that were failing. Select updates from the list and it should install fine.

3. Tomo8281

Tomo8281 Thread Starter

Weird thing is, I left my PC on overnight downloading something, came back in the morning and found out my PC had restarted and all the updates were installed fine!

So must of been a hiccup or something!

Cheers :)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe a hiccup, but my observation has been that sometimes after a particular update the system has to restart before updates can continue. XP would be more up front about stating this. Windows 7 just says that n updates failed and leaves you wondering. So, when I get update failures I always just try again before beginning to worry about it. :)

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

5. the_nerdette

the_nerdette

I have this problem as well, but it has been occurring over the past several days (ie my computer has shut down/ started a few time, and each time, the update didn't stick.)

How do I know which ones are failing?

6. iamdon

iamdon

the_nerdette,

If you are running Windows 7, click the Windows icon (start) and type 'Windows Update' in the search field.
    Once you get into Windows Update, you should see "View Update History" in the left pane.
    Click on that and you will see all update activities and their status.

7. the_nerdette

the_nerdette

Thanks a lot! Problem solved. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/953440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice