1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows update failing!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Maglook, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Maglook

Maglook Thread Starter

I have tried to fix this before and nothing has worked. Windows update keeps popping up with the same update over and over again and when I go to the site, it fails. Two of them are failing and it is driving me nuts. Please help me Obi One Kenobi, your only hope......

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3198 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 301705 MB, Free - 12189 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0RY007
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Sponsor

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

4. Maglook

Maglook Thread Starter

Did not fix it :(

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

One possible cause is that Windows Update's Download folder contains corrupted files. These steps will disable the Download folder so that a new one will automatically be created:

1. Click Start, type cmd in the Search box then right-click on cmd in the pop-up and select Run as Administrator.

2. In the command prompt window, type net stop wuauserv and hit Enter. Watch for confirmation that the service has been stopped and leave the Command Prompt window open.

3. Click Start, type: %windir% in the box and hit Enter.

4. Scroll down the list in the left hand pane and click on SoftwareDistribution.

5. In the right hand pane, right-click on the folder Download, select Rename and change it to Download.old Close the window and confirm any prompts.

6. Back in the Command Prompt window, type net start wuauserv and press Enter. Close the window. Reboot the PC and future updates should download and install without anymore problems.

Note: After resolving this Windows Update issue, please feel free to delete the Download.old folder.

6. Maglook

Maglook Thread Starter

Nope..I did as you said and it did not work...grr..is there anything that I can download so that you will be able to see what is going on?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1037241

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice