1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update Failing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by backplane, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. backplane

backplane Thread Starter

When I try to start windows update it runs for a few seconds and then a box pops up with the following.

Restart your computer to install important updates.
    Windows can’t update important files and services while the system is using them. Save any open files and restart you computer and then try to check for new updates.

I have restarted my computer many times but the same pop up comes up when I try to download updates.

I have downloaded and run the following Microsoft troubleshooting files to no avail.

MicrosoftFixit50123 and WindowsUpdateDiagnostic

Any thoughts on a way forward please?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

No guarantee on this, but I'd try a shut down (instead of restart). Has worked for me, but I have no idea why.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1139083