Solved Windows Update failing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DebbyR

Windows Update not working on two of my computers. It tries, but I don't get the window to grant permissions. What could be causing this? Any ideas?
Thank you,

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Post a screen shot of this error message?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Click the Review important updates link so you can see the names of those 4 updates and what their KB numbers are.
Submit an image so we can see for ourselves what they are.

---------------------------------------------------------------

DebbyR

Well, I went to windows help & it just told me to do everything I've already tried. I did download them from Microsoft & was able to get one to install, but the rest did not self-install.
I also had an update come through this morning that worked... these just seem stuck.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
It looks like the September 2018 security quality updates
KB4457144
KB4457918

have not installed.

Try selecting and installing them one at a time.

---------------------------------------------------------------

dmccoy

Darrin
Try the following steps. Let me know if any questions.

Step 1:
Click on Start menu
Type in cmd
Right click on cmd in list and select run as administrator
Type or copy and paste each of the following commands
1. Sc Stop wuauserv (hit enter)
2. Rd /s /q %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution (hit enter)

Step 2:
Download and Run the SURT tool
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858

If any errors Stop and Upload the Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

Step 3:
1. Disconnect any none essential peripherals such as flash drives, external hard drives, extra monitors, card readers, etc

Step 4:
Perform a clean boot

Step 5:
Try updating again and let me know if successful

DebbyR

Oh my, those instructions sound scary for me to try. I think if it comes to that, a real technician should be employed.

It is the same problem on both of my PC's.

I was able to get a few other updates in the last couple days.

So strange that these are stuck.

dmccoy

Darrin
I am not sure what you mean by the other computer. I am only looking at this post. The instructions may look scary but I am here to walk you through them a step at a time. However, it is your choice if you prefer to take to a technician.

Lets start with step 1. Let me know if you have questions or when you have access to the command line.
Click on Start menu
Type in cmd
Right click on cmd in list and select run as administrator

See the following link for more details on how to access command line:
https://www.dell.com/support/articl...is-and-how-to-use-it-on-a-dell-system?lang=en

Let me know if any questions or if you need more help.

DebbyR

Both my laptop and my PC have the same update issues with the same exact updates from September failing.

dmccoy

Darrin
Both my laptop and my PC have the same update issues with the same exact updates from September failing.
Okay, it is best to work on one laptop at a time even though they both have the same issue.

You can try the suggestion by Plodr and if that does not help continue with Step 1 above if you are comfortable and I will help you proceed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online