Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows Update Fails, Component Store Corrupt, No Restore Point

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
Hi there, so for the last couple months I've been having this problem where Windows Update fails and returns one error or another. I've run DISM and SFC and DISM returns 14098.

My computer was having other problems before this started, the clock resetting itself back to the beginning of the hour I rebooted on, every hour, and refusing to restart when the lid was closed. Trying to fix those problems I did a refresh on my laptop, when they continued to persist I did a factory reset. At this point the lid closing and clock problems seem to have resolved themselves but WinUpdate no longer works, at all. The last time it was able to pull down updates it got stuck at 44% then failed, and the time before that it got stuck in a loop while trying to install the updates for about 2 hours where it would reboot to install them, fail to do so, reset to before they were installed and start all over again.

These problems started on March 2nd this year. (I remember because I had just moved and the problems started immediately after I started using my laptop in the new location.)

Attemtped the fix listed in this thread as well and when I checked for updates I received error 8024a000. Ran Windows Update Diagnostic troubleshooter and was told problems were fixed, checked for updates and received error 80073712.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 6031 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 693434 MB, Free - 503909 MB; D: Total - 953835 MB, Free - 396428 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., Q500A
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

^ This says Windows Defender but I use Avast free
Is there anything that I can do other than reinstalling Win 8?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi TKRH, welcome to the TSG Forums.... :D

When you reply could you please indicate your level of experience - somewhere between Novice and Guru.

The two articles below may be helpful in resolving your issue. However, you may not be too happy after you have read them. Fixing a corrupt Component Store seems to be a real pain. Hopefully someone on this Forum can provide an easier solution.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/d126a392-1491-4371-962c-1d1269806aff/win-81-pro-dism-online-cleanupimage-restorehealth-returns-error-14098?forum=w8itprogeneral

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26512-dism-fixing-component-store-corruption-windows-8-a.html

T.

#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome :). My mom has had me on computers since I was 3 years old (22 now), I took a class in Java, know some HTML and can semi-navigate command prompt but I would consider myself waaaaaay closer to novice than guru.

I've actually come across those two articles multiple times in trying to fix this problem, and I either just really don't understand them (highly likely) or they don't actually help me. Leaning more toward not understanding them. If I were still back home I would have taken the laptop to a family member or his friend at the first sign of the problem and let them fix it rather than messing with it myself.

#5 ·
Thanks for the Screenshot. Based on that information it appears as if the Component Store in this case is not repairable. Why that should be the case I really don't know.

The Component Store is a critical part of the Windows OS. If it is corrupt then all manner of services simply won't run. The repair utility in DISM usually does the job and the reason for this is because the Component Store is not a single database but there are multiple instances of it which would normally imply that whichever bit of it is corrupt it could be reloaded from elsewhere within the system.

Have you run "chkdsk"...? Could there be a bad sector on your HDD...?

T.

#6 ·
First SS is the chkdsk return

The following two are something I've noticed a few times, and had happen earlier, clock is visible in both of these but the clock has done its looping issue again, as these pictures were taken about 10 - 30 minutes apart, not 2, and it is currently 7:22 AM local time.

Attachments

#7 ·
There are three issues here to deal with before you stand any chance of sorting this
The reason that the Deployment Imaging Servicing cmd cannot work is because windows updates are not working
The online dism cmd restore health relies on downloads from windows updates/Microsoft files database to repair the component store.
Important When you run this command, DISM uses Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix corruptions.

Please do not be annoyed but it is likely to be a long job, with no guarantee of success.

I would greatly appreciate your assurance that you wish to proceed on what - from the details I have read is likely to take some considerable number of posts.

If you do wish to go ahead here are the three first details of what you should do.

1. From your screenshot
sby_loader

Unless I am mistaken a sure fire way to acquire unwanted software. Not what you think you are downloading, but the malware possibly attached to it
IF I have the WRONG sby_loader then I apologise

UN-Install it using programs and features if it appears there - that is from Control Panel

2. AVAST Free has caused a number of problems on Windows 8, including problems with windows updates

Uninstall that from Programs and features
REBOOT
Check that Windows Defender is enabled and updated
Run a quick scan with Defender.
If it finds anything allow it to clean it
REBOOT

3. Download the FREE Malwarebytes
Although you are downloading the free one it is still necessary to opt out of the free trial of the paid for edition
The opt out is in the installation process
https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

the download you want is to the right of the window on the link
When you have it installed and DO remember please to OPT OUT of the free trial, update it, that will probably be automatic and run a threat scan
Allow it to quarantine what is found.
REBBOT
Open Malwarebytes again and - click the history tab, on the left pane click application logs and then selecting the scan log open it and click to copy
Then paste it here as the actual log please

4. Re the Homegroup icon
Homegroup is installed automatically with windows 8, but the icon should not appear unless you have configured 8 to join a homegroup

Creating a homegroup

When you set up a PC with Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1, a homegroup is created automatically and on windows 8

The link below is below is for info ONLY
Please do NOT make the changes at this stage
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/remove-homegroup-icon-windows-8-desktop

#8 ·
Posted by Macboatmaster.... : "....... The online dism cmd restore health relies on downloads from windows updates/Microsoft files database to repair the component store.
Important When you run this command, DISM uses Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix corruptions
Hi Macboatmaster, that is a very interesting comment. If I understand what you have written correctly, you are implying that DISM will only work if the user is connected to the Internet - or am I misunderstanding this...?

T.

#9 ·
PM just in case OP responds to topic, so we do not take up too many posts
Yes it does use updates in default mode, but perhaps I should clarify
ONLINE does not refer to the connection
ONLINE refers to the current loaded OS but if it is the current loaded OS then yes it uses windows updates files from Microsoft servers, and as well as files found in backups etc and various parts of system
If the offline cmd is used that means not a currently loaded OS
comprehensive doc in PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.