1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update Fails to Install Critical Updates

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Holly3278, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hi. Because I recently formatted my computer's hard drive, I have had to go online and redownload all of the critical and other windows updates for my Windows XP Pro computer. When I first started to download the updates, I had 19 Critical Updates to download. Now I think I have 10 or something like that. Well, these last 10 or whatever absolutely refuse to install! They are apparently downloaded though because I attempt to redownload them and they "download" at speeds way faster than what dialup is capable of. Well, then it proceeds to install the updates. However, every single update fails. During the attempted installation of these updates by Windows Update, my computer accesses the floppy drive for some unkown reason. It does this only once or twice. I believe that during these downloads I am running programs such as Norton Internet Security 2002 (but I don't know why this would affect it because my other downloads completed fine with this and the rest of the programs mentioned here running). I was also running Windows Messenger, Yahoo Messenger (I think), Kazaa Lite (I think), and Norton Antivirus 2002 (with Autoprotect enabled). I have not tried downloading these files with any of these programs disabled. Oh yeah, I use AOL for my Internet connection but I use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 to do most if not all of my web browsing which does include Windows Update. Please help me with this problem! I am quite stumped really. I have tried multiple (5 or 6) times to get these critical updates but each and every time the exact same thing happens. Also, I have deleted all of my cookies and everything in my Temporary Internet Files and tried the download again. Now this really confuses me because I would think that the previously downloaded files would be deleted when I emptied the Temporary Internet Files. I am thinking that the problem is that the files that I have downloaded are corrupt and they are hiding somewhere on my computer (which is why every time I "download" these files again, they "download" way faster than what dialup is capable of). Oh yeah, and just how fast these downloads go is well lets say a 15.5 megabyte download completed in approximately 10 seconds on my dialup connection which runs at 52,000 bps according to Session Speed under AOL's System Information. Also, my version of AOL is 8.0. Any help you guys can provide me will be extremely appreciated! Looking forward to your replies!

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

you should try and disable everything you can before trying to download them.

you can also try download one by one.

Or just manually download the updates to your hard drive from the link below and run them. Install one update, then restart, then another, restart etc.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

choose find updates and select the appropriate winxp version.

As always, you should create an emergency boot disk and choose to backup the registry before you do any updates. That way if an update messes up your registry (which can happen), you can go back to before you installed the update.

3. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hi. Once again, my downloads have failed. I tried doing what you said. I disabled everything I could and tried to download it again. And once again it acts as though the files were already downloaded because it downloaded them way too fast for dialup! Please let me emphasize something. I really think it is because these update files are already on my computer and they are corrupt. I truthfully don't know what to do! It really does seem like the update installation files are already on my computer and they need to be deleted so I can get fresh files. I don't know what you think about this but it sounds pretty valid to me. What do you think? Anyway, if this is true, how do I go about doing it?

4. putasolution

putasolution

Try this then

Close all open programs, including Internet Explorer, McAfee, AVG or other Anti-virus program.

Find and rename the

C:\Windows\System32\catroot2

folder to

C:\Windows\System32\CR2OLD

by rightclicking on catroot2 and choosing rename.

NOTE: IT MUST BE THE CATROOT2 FOLDER

(If you have upgraded to Windows XP from Windows 2000, the CATROOT2 folder should be located in C:\Winnt\System32 folder).

Now try installing the updates

5. Tech for Glory

Tech for Glory

There's a new program out there called BigFix (http://www.bigfix.com) that aids with critical, bug, and update fixes with a number of different companies including Microsoft. You might try installing this and seeing what it can do for you.

I just put the program on my computer today and installed one new update and it worked fine. I don't have extenseive knowledge of the program, however, so use at your own risk. The benefit is that it brings all your updates from all the different companies into one place.

6. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

well if you do download them manually through the windowsupdate catalog, you can choose were to save them to.

Just save them to your desktop. It will create a new folder on your desktop and put the updates in there.

That way you don't have to worry about writing over a corrupted/locked file.

Then you can run the updates.

If, when you execute an update and it doesn't work, then you have other problems, most likely some temp files not getting deleted or you have some services running causing the updates not to work.

Keep in mind that a lot of services like ones for antivirus can't be killed from the task manager. You will have to go into administrator tools and stop the service.

Speaking of administrator, you are logged onto administrator when you do the updates right?

7. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hi. My problem is solved now. I'm sorry I forgot to tell you that earlier. I am real tired and apparently it just skipped my mind. The problem was solved by renaming that folder. Well, later.

8. putasolution

putasolution

Glad it's sorted :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/132174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice