1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows update folder location

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ntlgnce, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ntlgnce

ntlgnce Thread Starter

The screen says " to display language characters correctly you need to install the following components:
    Japanese T Display Support.
    I click download Says Setup has checked the network location Specified and cannot find the component you are trying to install.
    Then it askes me for the location. Says "type the path too 'Windows Update' below and click ok".

Is there a default location for this? where do I download to? if i try to browse to the folder? C:/windows/then what? there is no update?

Windows ME/HP..

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I think you need to go to the Internet Windows update and download.
    I have Win98SE and can access Windows update from the start menu. There is a Windows update icon there. Also in Internet Explorer go to the toolbar to Tools>Windows Update

3. ntlgnce

ntlgnce Thread Starter

I got prompted to download this when going to a japaneese web site. This is a download window poping up, asking me for a location.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Go to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
    and click on setup.exe

Choose install minimal after you have accepted the setup agreement.

Scroll to multi Language support. Check the box next to Japanese Language text support.
    click next.

5. ntlgnce

ntlgnce Thread Starter

nothing there and now when i click download it says that i am not connected to the internet and sends me to the web page with out downloading!
    So when i get this thing to work, I need to down load to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer ?? then open the .exe

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Try it this way. Go to control Panel>add Remove programs and scroll the list ot the Internet Explorer entry. Click Remove. three choices will appear. Choose Add a Component.
    That will bring up the installation screen. Choose the Japanese Language support as discussed before.

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Two other possibilities. It is not C:\windows\update

It's C:\Windows Update Setup Files
    have a look there.

Also, youhave Win ME Have you ever updated IE? If not, IE won't be listed in Add remove programs.
    Try C:\Windows Update Setup Files
    If you still have trouble, you may want to update Internet Explorer and include the Language support you need.

8. ntlgnce

ntlgnce Thread Starter

Hmm, I think i need to say that i have not downloaded the Japanese Text Display. I am at a download screen that wants to put it in a directory. If I go to add and remove programs and remove it it is called Microsoft internet explorer. I c;uck add/remove then add component and it gives me a error that says cannot find windows set up files on this computer please choose windows update under your windows tools menu. o click ok. So i click that and it takes me to the windows page where it says there are no critical updates. it offers me Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and Root Certificates Update. would one of these have the text display in it?

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Update IE if you like and choose custom. you can choose the Japanese text support from the list.

10. ntlgnce

ntlgnce Thread Starter

Thanks for the helponthe.net :) you guys are just sooooo smart... the best..

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice