1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows update for may '12 hangs system after bootup for 2 minutes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rocket777, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rocket777

rocket777 Thread Starter

After this month's windows update for my xp sp3 system, I've determined that any of the several .net framework updates cause my system to be unresponsive until alg.exe - application layer gateway - runs followed immediately by the exit of the windows genuine advantage program.

Until these occur, programs like firefox (which can be launched as soon as my normal desktop appears) are unresponsive to any menu or button clicks. This behavior is not new, it's just that after these updates there's an extra (approximately) 2 minute interval on boot up that wasn't there before. There's no cpu activity during this delay and even the start button is unresponsive during this wait time.

Researching alg.exe, it seems to be something that 3rd party software might connect to related to internet or windows firewall. There are a couple of other system programs that run for an instant just as alg shows up. I'm monitoring it with procexp.exe from MS (launched from the startup folder).

Individually un-installing the .net updates did not :( restore prior behavior. Only rolling back to my nightly image backups restored my system. I had to do several rollbacks to find out which updates cause the problems - and it was at least a few of the .net updates (like kb2656407, kb2604110, or kb2604121) while all the other updates caused no problems. Except for these .net updates, I've installed every other update for windows xp.

I have installed nod32 antivirus, drive image 7.0, vmware player 4.0, vnc server to name a few things that appear in the system area of procexp. My workaround is to start from a rollback and hide these updates for the time being. I don't want to do too many trial and error rollbacks since each time I have to write 11 gigs to my SSD. I'm afraid it could cause my SSD to die an early death (I've got a Kingston SSDNow V+100 96GB).

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this or have any ideas :confused:

2. tedddd

tedddd

yes, i've just had other people report it to me. They have been haranging their broadband (virgin media) all day asking why internet is so slow. Turns out they have the hanging windows update...."stops at 7% and never progresses further." "Been at 7% all day" "everything is slow" "restarting doesn't fix it".
    I have told them to switch off windows update completely and reboot. awaiting reports if that fixes it...

3. lightglobe

lightglobe

Mate, I am only learning as I go along, but something tells me that a corrupted file is your offender, have you considered to do a WIN XP REPAIR back to original factory setting and then reinstall all updates again. I know it's a boring job, but you will have more control over the updates. And if you do that and it takes you back to SP1, then update SP1 fully before moving onto SP2, then update SP2 fully before moving onto SP3, then update SP3 fully. Each time allows the MS Site to automatially do the updating browse. But, I found it was very important to do each SP download and updating one at a time. You cannot ignored SP2 and all it's updates before going to SP3. My explanation is from my own personal experience when I did a full RECOVERY....

4. tedddd

tedddd

just had the update a few hours ago and it is a stinker from microsoft.
    here is the facts:
    You cannot view the updates...it is one where it just appears and timers to reboot.
    you reboot or let it time to reboot.
    the restart is VERY slow...the load sequence is strange...you will get a warning that windows firewall has been switched off....then it goes away (security work being done..) finally you network drivers will load last after everything else....then BANG...your pc does a very hard low level powercycle (your speakers will pop) almost like someone has pulled the power out.
    Now this (second reboot) one is interesting also...the windows starts then you have mouse pointer and wallpaper/black background (cant tell as my wallpaper is black anyway lol) this stays like this for about 60 seconds !! with nothing else loading! ... then after a while your desktop icons and window bars appear. After all is done a small windows update (yellow triange) icon appears in the systray for no more than a second...then goes away. Then i get the microsoft error message box "windows has shut down unexpectedly due to an error...would you like to send a report". You bet your *** i do...it was not my error it was microsofts update that crashed it!

For others they came in 11/05/2012 for me they came in 12/05/2012 all-in-one update.

the troublesome update is these:
    KB 2686509
    KB 2676562
    KB 2695962
    KB 2659362

.net updates
    KB 2604092
    KB 2656407
    KB 2604110

If you haven't got these via auto-update...then you soon will.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1052776

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice