1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update gave me BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by UnseenChaos, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnseenChaos

UnseenChaos Thread Starter

Downloaded 5 windows updates 2 days ago. They install, as usual, upon shutting down my computer. Tried to turn it back on about 5 hours later to do homework. Immediately was taken to the black safe mode or normal mode or etc. choices screen. Tried every option, goes to XP load screen with green load bar for a second, then for a fraction of a second the BSOD appears, then it's back to the black screen asking me to choose safe mode or normal, etc. Does the same thing every time without fail. Tried shutting it down and restarting. Nothing's working and everyplace I look online seems to need safe mode to work or access to my computer in order to work. I've got nothing.

Also I do not have the disks for Windows XP to use because it cam pre-installed when I bought the laptop 3 and 1/2ish years ago. So I'm really at a loss at this point. If trying to get it fixed someplace is going to run me over $150 I may as well go buy a $400 compact or something to get me through until I have the money for a better one.

I have an external hard drive with most of my software on it. My free auto backup that came on it though ran out about 3 months ago and with fall semester going on it would really be nice to get back my last 2 months of work, notes, some working ahead I did with my C# programming class, etc.

-HP Pavilion dv5000
    -Windows XP Media Version
    -Had a virus problem occur about 3 days before this happend but my AVG said it took care of it, so I didn't think it was a problem, BSOD occured right after these updates installed too, so didn't seem like a coincidence

I have been looking to build my own laptop sometime anyway, but I wont really have the funds this upcoming spring or summer, so. Really would like to solve this problem soon without having to take it in or spend money to fix a problem that I don't believe I caused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

UnseenChaos

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

You should have made your own recovery DVDs when you got the computer.

You might still be able to make them with this Procedure ...

You might still be able to order the recovery DVDs .. see Here

If you can remove the Hard Drive .. you should be able to connect it to this Adapter ..
    Then you will be able to read the Data it contains from another computer.

3. UnseenChaos

UnseenChaos Thread Starter

Ok, well I was only in high school and when my parents bought it for me for college I don't think they got any recovery cds, so I'm sorry I didn't immediately think of going out and purchasing those. I just would like to find a solution I may be able to try the second part. Thanks for your help, any more suggestions would be great.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/869251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice