1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update Hangs on Checking or Installing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Belated, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Belated

Belated Thread Starter

Recently my WIN 7 Pro x64 "Windows Update" function started hanging upon checking for updates or when installing software that required MS updates (e.g. Internet Explorer 9). This is a custom-built i7, 4Gb, that had no WIN 7 problems beforehand.

After searching widely on Google, I tried the following without success:
    1) msconfig: remove all non-MS services from loading at boot
    2) downloading recent updates for manual install (returns message that the update is not for my OS)
    3) stopping my only AV programs: Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials

Searching processes from task manager, I found two anomalies that may be related:
    1) TrustedInstaller.exe process can be killed, but then re-appears within several minutes
    2) UpdateChecker.exe shows at login, although I cannot find the source for it.

Suggestions? (I have not tried system restore b/c of prior unsatisfactory results.)

Thanks!

2. gyclone

gyclone

I had lots of similar problems with Windows Update on Windows 7 machines until I removed McAfee antivirus software. No problems since, but I can't be certain that McAfee was the problem.

Also, I gave up on System Restore a long time ago, too, but as a last resort I've had to use it a few times on Windows 7 and it's actually worked for me every time I've done it, so maybe you should give it another go (just back up first).

3. Belated

Belated Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback about your experience with system restore. Unfortunately, my attempt to use it just failed. It, too, blamed anti-virus software. I have neither MSE or Defender running. Never even loaded any other AV software.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

UpdateChecker.exe probably comes from Filehippo.com.

Please click HERE to download and install HijackThis.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile from the Main Menu.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

IMPORTANT: Do not fix anything

5. w7pro

w7pro

I'm surprised that system restore didn't work. Like glycone, I had much better luck with my OS once I removed the third party security software and relied on Microsoft Security Essentials. Not sure if you're using that, but it's worth a try: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

You can always try the most extreme option, which is to do a clean install, but that's sort of a last case scenario suggestion.

-- Ryan
    Windows Outreach Team

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice