Windows Update Hangs on Checking or Installing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Belated

Recently my WIN 7 Pro x64 "Windows Update" function started hanging upon checking for updates or when installing software that required MS updates (e.g. Internet Explorer 9). This is a custom-built i7, 4Gb, that had no WIN 7 problems beforehand.

After searching widely on Google, I tried the following without success:
1) msconfig: remove all non-MS services from loading at boot
2) downloading recent updates for manual install (returns message that the update is not for my OS)
3) stopping my only AV programs: Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials

Searching processes from task manager, I found two anomalies that may be related:
1) TrustedInstaller.exe process can be killed, but then re-appears within several minutes
2) UpdateChecker.exe shows at login, although I cannot find the source for it.

Suggestions? (I have not tried system restore b/c of prior unsatisfactory results.)

Thanks!

I had lots of similar problems with Windows Update on Windows 7 machines until I removed McAfee antivirus software. No problems since, but I can't be certain that McAfee was the problem.

Also, I gave up on System Restore a long time ago, too, but as a last resort I've had to use it a few times on Windows 7 and it's actually worked for me every time I've done it, so maybe you should give it another go (just back up first).

Belated

Thanks for the feedback about your experience with system restore. Unfortunately, my attempt to use it just failed. It, too, blamed anti-virus software. I have neither MSE or Defender running. Never even loaded any other AV software.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
UpdateChecker.exe probably comes from Filehippo.com.

Please click HERE to download and install HijackThis.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile from the Main Menu.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

IMPORTANT: Do not fix anything

I'm surprised that system restore didn't work. Like glycone, I had much better luck with my OS once I removed the third party security software and relied on Microsoft Security Essentials. Not sure if you're using that, but it's worth a try: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

You can always try the most extreme option, which is to do a clean install, but that's sort of a last case scenario suggestion.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online