Windows Update has stopped working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

James321

Windows Update for Vista has stopped working and hangs when looking for new updates.

Also the computer is perpetually busy even when not connected to the internet with 50% CPU usage. Stopping the service "wuauserv" (connected to Windows Update) in Task Manager temporarily stops the problem.

Some time back I limited the amount of spare hard disk space Windows could use to economize on available disk. Could this have had anything to do with it?

Looking in Google I have not been able to find an easy fix for the problem in Vista.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Although I hadn't used Windows Vista since 2009, several people here were having problems with installing it and updating it, so I decided to do some research and then install it and update it.
To make a long story short, these are the steps that I came up with which worked fine and allowed Windows Update to work correctly.

1. Install Windows Vista SP2 64-bit.

2. Install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2.

3. Install necessary drivers (chipset, graphics, audio, ethernet, etc.).

4. Obtain a connection and activate Windows Vista.

5. Install Internet Explorer 9.

6. Install Internet Explorer 9 cumulative security update (KB3185319).

7. Install the 6 updates at this site in order by KB number.
Don't restart the computer until all 6 updates are installed.
http://wu.krelay.de/en/

8. Load Windows Update and check for updates.

Since you already have it installed, you can start with step #7.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Just for your information, Microsoft will no longer support and provide updates for Windows Vista after April 2017.
And if you're using the Firefox browser, Mozilla will stop support for Windows Vista after March 2017.

--------------------------------------------------------------

James321

7. Install the 6 updates at this site in order by KB number.
Don't restart the computer until all 6 updates are installed.
http://wu.krelay.de/en/

8. Load Windows Update and check for updates.

Since you already have it installed, you can start with step #7.
I'm having a problem trusting the webpage you refer to.

Who exactly is "http://wu.krelay.de/en/"?

Who created the page and where does it come from?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I wouldn't advise or suggest something to you that I haven't already tested and done myself.
I'll leave you with someone else.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online