1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows Update in repeated attempt to install Win 10 1703

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by OldMrBob, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OldMrBob

OldMrBob Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8151 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (803 GB Free); D: 0 GB (0 GB Free); F: 931 GB (931 GB Free);
    Motherboard: MSI, IONA
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Windows Update shows update as " Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703".
    Each update fails with message that something is already being downloaded. After update fails, the reload and attempt to install the same Feature Update try's again. Attempts keep trying in continuous mode.
    Any attempt to install 1703 (direct download, USB version, ISO virtual file, or ISO copy to DV D) also fail with message that something is already being downloaded by Windows Update.

I've been trying to install version 1703 since it came out using all of the above methods. So far, nothing has worked.

Appreciate any advice. I've tried installs saving both data and apps, data only and full destructive install. Nothing has worked so far.

2. Lanctus

Lanctus

Have you looked in the Task Manager to see if there are more than one instance of this download running? For example, if the first attempt didn't work but it somehow got hung in the process, that could prevent all further attempts from working.

3. OldMrBob

OldMrBob Thread Starter

Yes, I checked. No instance of windows Update was evident.
    I accessed Windows Update in administrative Tools (services). I shut down Windows Update. Under properities there was a cryptic error message "invalid Handle". Don't know what this means but I include.

4. OldMrBob

OldMrBob Thread Starter

Problem solved. No install option worked when install application was started within win 10 1607. Corruption in this version stopped Win replacement from running.

I rebooted from an ISO copy to a DVD. Changed boot order to boot from DVD. Boot OS started and installation started. Install just recycled after option to save files and apps was selected. Rebooted from DVD and install started again. On install option screen I selected the destructive option This option first deleted all on my C: drive. Then the rest of the upgrade to 1703 started. Took a while but I now have latest version of windows.

While backed up all important files and ran a full drive image backup prior to this latest attempt, the install process created a complete copy of the old files and stored it in a folder called "Windows.old".
    Still have to install software by my Downloads were also saved in Windows.old.

Thanks for help. first time at this site. Don't know how to mark as solved.

5. Jack1000

Jack1000

Microsoft recommends remaining with Anniversary Update for Windows 10, until the Creators Update is automatically download to your system. If you do it manually, you may encounter comparability issues that may conflict with your system. With automatic update, you have a better chance that the build has been tested with your system.

Jack

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice