1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows update in the start menu

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by debjerry, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. debjerry

debjerry Thread Starter

I do not have a windows update in the start menu. Is there a way I can get the windows update to show in the start menu?

2. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

You should be able to find it in the "All programs". Once you find it, right click the entry, and then select "Pin to Start Menu".

3. debjerry

debjerry Thread Starter

I am sorry what I meant to say was I can't find it in my all programs. It is not there for some reason but there is a shortcut to windows up date in the all programs that does not work.

4. deubanks

deubanks

Go to Computer, C Drive, Windows, System32 and scroll down near the bottom and find wuapp.exe.
    Copy and paste it into your all programs.

I think this will work because I tried it by copying and pasteing it on my desk top and it worked there.

5. debjerry

debjerry Thread Starter

That did not work any other ideas?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Right-click your Desktop > New > Shortcut.

For the target, paste:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Name it Windows Update in the next window.

Drag it to the Start Menu to where you want it.

7. debjerry

debjerry Thread Starter

I am doing somthing wrong because after I created the new folder I could not drag it to the start menu.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not a folder. Use the New menu and create a new shortcut. Drag it to the Start button and the menu will open.

9. deubanks

deubanks

Go to control panel, right click on Windows update and click on create shortcut. It will put it on your desktop and you can drag it to the start button and when it opens drag it up to where you want it.

I just tried it and it worked for me. I then deleted it because I didn't want two of them.

10. debjerry

debjerry Thread Starter

ok I can't find windows update on my control panel. can you tell me where to find it?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Just use the shortcut under Tools in Internet Explorer. Or ask someone to follow the above directions for you.

12. debjerry

debjerry Thread Starter

Ok I have windows update in the start menu now but I still do not understand why it was not in the start menu to begin with. I have another windows update in the start menu but that one didn't work. Does windows udate come in the start menu automatically or not.? thank you everybody for your help. Also I did not understand what was meant by taking it to the start menu button. Learn something new every day.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

It is usually there right after installation. It could have gotten deleted or changed to an invalid shortcut. But there are so many ways to get there, it doesn't really matter.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/707384