1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update: infinite loop of one particular update

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by schwim, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. schwim

schwim Thread Starter

Hi there everyone!

I've got an issue with my XP machine. I've got a single update that just keeps showing up as an update in a loop. I can't get rid of it. It is showing as successful when I run the update.

XP SP 3
    The update in question: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28608

I've searched online and have done the following per suggestions I found.

1) .NET 2, 3 & 3.5 uninstalled and reinstalled.
    2) Searched previous updates for a failed install. No failed instance of a patch found.
    3) Tried patching from Windows Update website. Showed successful then showed back up as a necessary patch seconds later.
    4) Downloaded the patch and ran. Reported creating a system restore point, then patching. Reported success. After restart, patch shows as needing installed on auto update in the taskbar.

I've installed it through various methods over 40 times now, trying different things in the process. I just can't get rid of it. Any thoughts or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time!

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
  3. schwim

schwim Thread Starter

Hi there Dave,

Thanks very much for your reply. I'm not getting any errors or any indication that this is related to .NET. I only uninstalled, reinstalled because I found on the web mentions that it could cause hung updates. When I installed and updated the new .NET installs, everything went successfully and only left me with the repetitious update that I had before. Also the patch I'm having problems with(link in OP) doesn't seem to have anything to do with .NET.

4. schwim

schwim Thread Starter

Forgive the bump, but I would be very grateful if someone had any other thoughts on how to resolve this issue.

5. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    You do have SP 3 installed, right?

6. schwim

schwim Thread Starter

I do have SP3 installed.

I also followed the steps outlined in step 2, removing and reinstalling(and successfully patching) .NET 1, 1.1, 2 and 3.5 a second time.

All patches for .NET were successfully applied. Update 2584146 is still in an infinite loop, however.

7. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Do you get any error messages when installing this "2584146" update?

When viewing the "Updates History" does it show that this update has failed?

If it is listed in the "Add and Remove Programs", you may want to uninstall it and have another try at installing it.

8. schwim

schwim Thread Starter

No. It shows as successful in all the ways that I try installing it(taskbar, update site and download)

It shows as successful in Update History.

I deleted it, rebooted, installed from MS website, it showed as having succeeded. Did a complete shutdown and started it back up. It shows as available again.

9. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    By deleting, do you mean you deleted it from a Windows Explorer window or you ran the uninstall from the control panel?

10. schwim

schwim Thread Starter

I'm sorry for the poor terminology. I uninstalled it via Add/Remove Software.

11. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Then it appears to be installed, I would just right the entery next time and hide it.
    If it does do reappear as it has been, then I would let it go.

12. schwim

schwim Thread Starter

Will do. Thanks very much for all your help!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice