1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows update installs fail

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by adenda, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adenda

adenda Thread Starter

Hi,

I've been experiencing a problem that several others have previously reported however each fix I try seems to unearth another problem. The problem started when Windows started spontaneously re-booting during startup. I eventually fixed that by booting of the original CD and using WIndows Recovery Console. However that seemed to trigger downloading of several updates.

Basically with Automatic Updates switched on, all updates downloaded fail to install. With Automatic Updates switched off, running Windows Update results in the message:
    "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view"

I'm running SP3 on Windows XP Home Version 2002. I've tried various Microsoft Fix It solutions but they don't seem to fix anything. ONe problem I've unearthed is that Cryptographic Service are not started and any attempt to start them fails with an error of 193: 0xc1.

My repair attempts are a bit scattergun - I hope someone can guide me through a more logical sequence.

Here is the output from the TSG Sysinfo utility"

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1535 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6200, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 305234 MB, Free - 224029 MB;
    Motherboard: , P4M800Pro-8237
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I should add that I've tried re-registering the 7 or so windows update DLLs suggetsed by some - no good.

Cheers

Adenda

2. 2BInformed

2BInformed Banned

3. adenda

adenda Thread Starter

Thanks for the link.

Well I tried everything detailed on PCHell and ... it didn't work. I'm getting error 0x8DDD0004 on Windows Update.

Adenda

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    How old is that computer?

Has a clean reinstall of Windows XP SP3 to get a fresh start ever been done in it?

-------------------------------------------------------------

5. adenda

adenda Thread Starter

Computer is pretty old - been considering replacement for a while. Clean install was done a while back - but this problem has only recently emerged.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't say if you've been using any registry/file "cleaner" type programs in that computer.

Windows may be damaged to the point to where a clean reinstall and fresh start may be the best option.

--------------------------------------------------------

7. OverheatingBlows

OverheatingBlows

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1092057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice