1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows update is downloading despite my settings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by badchili, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. badchili

badchili Thread Starter

Hello all,
    My first post here. I did not see this problem while searching the forums so I hope it hasn't already been addressed. I'm running XP Home and Mozilla. I recently changed my Auto Update settings to notify me before downloading
    updates, but now I find WU is downloading updates as I type this. I'm not sure if this if SP2 or not but it does seem to be a sizeable download. I'm on dial-up so it will be awhile before I know what the update is. Also, I'm using ZA 5.1 and do not allow IE access to the internet. Anyone know why update would start without notifying me first?

2. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Right click on the small icon in the lower right of your screen One of them is a Windows Update Icon Right clicking should bring up what is being downloaded . It should also give you a choice to cancel . Hope this helps .

3. badchili

badchili Thread Starter

Hello Dust Sailor,

Thanks for your reply. I'm more interested in why the download started in the first place since I've set WU to notify me without downloading the update. Any way, strange occurence #2. Not long after posting my question, the update icon disappeared (which at that point was at 36%) and the download stopped on its own. Thanks again for your time. Spoke too soon. the uninvited update is back and downloading.

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Just to be sure, has the PC been restarted since changing the AutoUpdate setting? And if so, is it holding the setting or reverting back to a prior setting?

5. badchili

badchili Thread Starter

Yes Bryan,
    Several times. I'm sure about that since I'm on Florida's west coast and I'm counting time based on which hurricane we're into this week.

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Not sure why that's happening, maybe someone else knows. I'll dig around later when I get a chance to see if I can find something for you. In the meantime, what happens if you turn off auto updates completely? Have you tried that?

7. badchili

badchili Thread Starter

I've turned off auto update and the download has stopped. Thanks for looking into this. I'm stumped as to why the download would start when it's set to notify me first.

8. badchili

badchili Thread Starter

Another strange thing, ZA is showing continuous incoming traffic. As far as I can tell, this is Generic Host Process for Win32 Services. This traffic is incoming without end while connected to the net. What is going on?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice