1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows Update is taking forever to check for updates

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Holly3278, Feb 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hey everyone. I recently did a factory reset on my computer and so I have a fresh installation of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Anyway, I have managed to get some updates from Windows Update installed but now I am trying to check for updates and it is taking forever for it to complete the process of checking for updates. It's been checking for updates for over an hour. I could really use some help in fixing this.

2. StiffPaul

StiffPaul

I need help with this to. I am having the same problem..

3. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Well, it finally finished checking for updates. I am now downloading and installing them. It just installed 201 updates earlier today and now it's installing 224 updates.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Holly:
    It's normal after doing a clean install of Windows 7 SP1 for the "Check for updates" process to take well over an hour.
    This process takes much longer than it did several months ago because Microsoft is trying to push Windows 10 on everyone who is running Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1.
    If you allow all 224 important/recommended updates to download and install, you'll receive a notice and will be nagged to install it.
    The KB3035583 and KB2952664 updates are the primary offenders, so you need to uninstall them and then hide them.

-------------------------------------------------------------

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Clean install you need to be sure that SP 1 and SP2 are installed, IE 11 is installed and an update from February, KB3135445, which is related to Windows update is installed. After that, then checking for updates should be quite as cumbersome.

I had a computer go to 100% CPU checking for updates and the computer was only checking for February updates because it was up to date. Supposedly 3135445 will fix this. I'm hoping march goes better!

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    This is Windows 7 and not Windows Vista. ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Just to show you how aggressive Microsoft is getting about Windows 10, an "out of cycle" KB3035583 update was released again today. :mad:

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I reread the article and missed a few important words.
    I guess i didn't have enough coffee in my system when I read that Tuesday morning. :ROFLMAO:

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I know what it's like not to have enough coffee :confused: or keep my prescription glasses :cool: clean when I'm on here.

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1166685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice