1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update Issue - Failure Configuring / Reverting/ Endless Loop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by oldroadfan, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldroadfan

oldroadfan Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and want to send a shoutout and a Thanks for all that everyone does on here.

I have a Gateway Win 7 64 bit desktop PC, that is having issues with Windows Update.

I guess that I have not been paying attention to my Windows Updates and I have not done a normal shutdown of my PC in a while. There were strorms coming up and I decided to power down. It said configuring updates, do not turn off PC. The next thing I noticed a few hours later, it was on my grey Gateway start up screen saying something along the lines of Failure configuring Windows Updates, Reverting Changes...." After like three hours, I was back in business. Well, the computer at random times tries to re-run the updates with the same message. Finally, yesterday I searched and found Microsoft's "Windows Update Troubleshooter." I ran it and it said that it fixed all of the updates. I even did a couple of reboots and Windows started normally.

BUT, last night, my wife noted that it said that the computer needed to reboot to allow updates to finish processing and of course, it went through the whole Failure configuring windows upates, reverting and such. Arrgh!

How can I fix this? I thought that the Troubkeshooter tool might work (and iot looked like it did) but then it tried updates just a few hours later.

Thanks for any guidance!

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1.Welcome to Tech Support Guy

2. Send a copy and paste of the info in the white box from our Sys Info Utility
    http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

3. What is the full model of the Gateway please

4. What Anti Virus and Firewall are being used please
    List all anti-virus, malware detection and Spyware programs installed please

How many updates were indicated and is it now a particular set of updates that are failing OR are none of the present set installed

3. oldroadfan

Thanks!

4. Macboatmaster

Is this the free trial version
    Antivirus: Symantec Endpoint Protection, Not Updated

and will that not update either.
    It could well be the cause of the failure of window updates.
    Try
    1. Updating the Symantec
    2. Disabling the Symantec ONLY whilst downloading and installing the updates

5. oldroadfan

It's a paid one. Received it through work.

I did try to update the virus definitions. The LiveUpdate tool ran and one of the last things that you see in the window before it closed was that all definitions are up to date but the main Symantec screen shows that all defs are out of date, with the the being from January, 2015.

By the way Thanks!

EDIT: Apparently SEP 11x hit the end of its "life" in early Jan 2014 and users were given a 1 year extension. That is why my uodates stopped in jan 2015.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  6. Macboatmaster

1. please just click reply not quote
    there is no advantage in posting back what I have said
    unless you are presenting your replies as in post 3

2. did all work ok before Symantec was installed - or has that always been the av - Symantec/norton

7. oldroadfan

Thanks. I have had Symantec installed for almost as long as I've had the computer.

8. Macboatmaster

Presuming you can get an up to date installation of Symantec from your work I would uninstall it
    As you so correctly say SEP version 11 is end of life
    http://www.symantec.com/connect/for...point-protection-manager-stop-15-january-2015

Once that is the case you do not have course have active protection as definitions etc are not updated

That may also be the cause of the problem with windows updates.

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO55084.html

SO USE CONTROL PANEL PROGRAMS AND FEATURES

I would establish a restore point first - just in case.

Because of the lack of protection that you have had, or may have had, I would download the free malwarebytes and run a scan, although you are downloading the free one it is necessary to ensure you opt out of the offer of the 30 day free trial of the paid for version.
    That opt out is to uncheck the option in the installation process
    When you run Malwarebytes allow it to quarantine anything it finds and then on click the history tab, on left pane click application logs, select scan log and copy and paste to reply IF ANYTHING WAS FOUND
    please
    https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

9. oldroadfan

I appreciate your help!

I uninstalled SEP.

I did a restore point and then,

I ran a Malwarebytes scan. No malware found.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 6/26/2015
    Scan Time: 5:29:23 PM
    Logfile:
    Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.01.6.1022
    Malware Database: v2015.06.26.07
    Rootkit Database: v2015.06.26.01
    License: Free
    Malware Protection: Disabled
    Malicious Website Protection: Disabled
    Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64
    File System: NTFS
    User: cd

Scan Type: Threat Scan
    Result: Completed
    Objects Scanned: 892423
    Time Elapsed: 5 hr, 36 min, 7 sec

Memory: Enabled
    Startup: Enabled
    Filesystem: Enabled
    Archives: Enabled
    Rootkits: Disabled
    Heuristics: Enabled
    PUP: Warn
    PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
    (No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0
    (No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys: 8
    PUP.Optional.Bundler, HKU\S-1-5-21-1106374176-3451124849-2038408335-1000_Classes\TYPELIB\{157B1AA6-3E5C-404A-9118-C1D91F537040}, , [76d96a552664d95d8a16968f19ed3bc5],
    PUP.Optional.Bundler, HKU\S-1-5-21-1106374176-3451124849-2038408335-1000_Classes\INTERFACE\{3B3F3AAD-FB97-etc......

10. Macboatmaster

Please post the rest of the log
    and more importantly please check how windows updates are

ALSO you now have no protection so please install this
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download

until and if you obtain the updated version of the Endpoint protection

Re this
    I actually meant to create a restore point FIRST in case something went drastically amiss with the uninstall of Endpoint Protection
    May I presume that you mean you created one albeit after the uninstall

11. oldroadfan

I did the restore point first, though in your instructions it was down the post a bit but I knew what you meant, lol.

I went back to the Scan log, earlier it was too large to post, I will try to attach a text file.

Last night, Windows Update ran again. Still did the Fail/Revert thing but when it attempted to run Yesterday, there were 2 Important Updates and 30 Reccomended ones, while this morning iot had dropped to 2 and 10.

Just curious Macboatmaster - Is there a spell checker on here? :)

Attached Files:

12. Macboatmaster

Were it to be me I would configure Malwarebytes to quarantine those PUP - Potentially unwanted programs
    and therefore get rid of all those Conduit entries.
    Generally it causes more problems than it is worth

Re Spell checker not as such - I use IE so I use iespell
    http://www.iespell.com/

if installed right click your post and click iespell

Re
    the restore point - yes but I did say

13. oldroadfan

Thanks for your continued help.

I installed Windows Security Essentails. How does that stack up against Symantec Endpoint Protecxtion? i.e. do I even need SEP?

I am now down to 8 reccomended items to be installed but all "Importany updates" have finally installed, succesfully. Please see attachment for list of updates.

Thanks again!

EDIT - I did not see the attachment, so we'll try again. It is screenshots, on Word (doc file).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  14. Macboatmaster

It very much depends on your browsing habits
    I am not familiar with Symantec Endpoint - it has good reports
    Not of course being the usual private consumer product
    If it anything like the Norton - which is of course Symantec, then your system will run smoother and probably a little faster with MSE

NO AV can protect you from the unchecked - unknown download of material which contains malware
    Frequently found but of course not exclusively so on torrents and other P2P sites
    Many free downloads especially found on hosting sites contain adware and spyware

I have never used anything except the free MSE and on my windows 8.1 the free Defender the enhanced version of MSE for windows 8/8.1

I support that with a regular scan with the free malwarebytes - a highly regarded product,

Regular cleaning of browsing history, updates of flash player and adobe reader and if you have it Java - all but especially JAVA being known avenues of exploits in security when out of date, should keep you reasonably safe

For your general reading as you wish
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ated-faq/4d726f20-15d8-475f-ac47-a21507d112c8

15. oldroadfan

Thanks for tyhe excellent info on AV and smart/save computing and browsing.

Now how do I get thise 8 "reccomended" Windows Updates to, well, update. Succesfully, lol?

I don't think that my Screenshot ever attached. Sio the forum software must have kicked it out. Any other clue on hiow I can get that screenshot, so yiu can see it?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1150614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice