Windows Update Issues/Questions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jack1000

Guys,

I have Automatic Update turned on in XP. But last month, I never received an update notification so I had to do WU manually no problems. Is Auto Update set up so that let's say your computer is not turned on or you just don't get the notification in your system tray when MS sends out the update. Is is one shot and that's it and you have to do it manually if you want it?

Today, manual update didn't work. (The download did) but MS said the installation failed because Auto update was installing stuff. (But I didn't get an Auto Update icon in the Sys tray.) I let auto update finish the install/restarted....no problems.

I have Windows Defender set to update/quick scan each night. I have Auto Update set to download/install updates on Mondays at night (1 AM or 2 AM) But when I see that udate icon, I just install.

Jack

there is going to be a debate started here ..but this is what I do and I instruct all my clients to do...set windows to download updates BUT not to install until you tell it to..the reason for this is if your computer has been running good and you are not having any problems ..then you do the update and you start having any kind of problem..slowdown... crashing ...system hanging...anything different..you will know it was the update that caused the problem and you can reverse the update....if you have your computer do the updates automatically and you are in getting coffee or going to the bathroom and your not right there when windows does its thing...all you will know is your computer is acting strange

:cool: i have a 80gb hd in a compaq presario 7462 with 500mzh pr.
i have lowed win.xp the setup of it an the it rebaits in win four frat time i am getting COULD'T OPEN DRIVE MULTI(0)DISK(0)RDISK(0)PARTITION(1) can you help.

david301916 you need to start your own thread...and be clear what your problem is

Jack1000

Guys,

Just a FYI:

MANY PEOPLE had trouble with the April 12th Windows Updates. Not sure if MS knows about this, but I am sure this is not something that we did. I am gonna try to remember, and would advise people on Windows XP to CREATE A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT before installing Windows Updates, (or really installing anything) regardless of whether you do it automatically or manually.

If you have another OS with Go Back or Restore software on it. Create a restore point before updating or installing anything. This isn't a cure all/end all, but it will give you some line of defense if you have problems after the updates.

This may help save our butts in the future!

Jack

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I keep Windows Updates turned off completely so I don't have to deal with that nagging taskbar icon and so I can check for new updates at my leisure. Microsoft normally releases new updates on the second Tuesday of every month, so I already know when to check for them.

Attachments

Jack1000

Last night,

I was informed of updates when getting ready to shutdown. They installed fine. But how come I didn't see the little icon in the system tray telling me about the updates?

Jack

Jack1000

Another Windows Update Question,

I have my Automatic Updates set for Monday at 2:00am in the Security Center. But sometimes when I go to the WU site, it tells me that Automatic Update is turned on. However, the time listed is daily at 3 am, (under pick a time to install updates) and when I try to change it, it defaults back to the daily at 3 am time. The times aren't sycronized? Why?

Jack

Jack1000

I think I found my answer to my own question. This may help everyone:

FYI: The daily updates at 3 AM are Windows Defaults. Clicking ok at the WU site will change update times/chosen frequencies in the Security Center in XP SP-2 or on your Windows Update Schedule in other OS's. But the time default is set at 3 AM when you go to the site so that everyone can see that's the default time.

Jack

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online