1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows update KB2564958 fails to install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mazaprin, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mazaprin

mazaprin Thread Starter

For more than 2 weeks I have been trying to install windows security update KB2564958 and i will fail to install giving error code 0x80246007. I looked up this error code online and it means “NOT DOWNLOADED” but I am sure it was downloaded because I went directly to microsoft.com and looked up the stand alone of this update and downloaded it and my download manager showed the progress bar downloading 744 KB which I saved to desktop but when I tried to onstall it the setup was interrupted at the beginning saying “Setup was cancelled”.

I have scanned my pc with Spybot, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Norton Security suite and they found no viruses or troyans at all (note that I don’t have any antispyware actively monitoring on task-bar I use all of them manually to scan so there is no conflicts).

I ran Chkdsk and found no errors. I ran Registry First Aid and clea-ned the registry to no avail, this up-date will not install. There must be some bug or this update was corrupted since they offered it. I have tried several options that I found online and did not solve the issue. My Norton protection and all other softwares never interfered with Microsoft Updates.

I contacted Microsoft support and after they gave me a list of several options to solve the problem that I followed to the letter to no avail they asked me to use (and pay) phone support and I replied to them that Microsoft offers FREE complete support for problems related to Windows security updates and I refuse to pay for that support. That was a week ago and they have not responded at all they left me on my own.

I don’t know if some of you have had problems trying to install this update but if you found a solution please share it with us.

Attached Files:

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If its the ONLY security update that won't install, don't fret over it. :eek:

-------------------------------------------------------

Using Registry First Aid was NOT a good idea. (n)

Do NOT use registry cleaner/booster/optimizer/tuneup type programs under ANY circumstances.

They will do NOTHING to improve speed or fix computer ills, but what they can do is damage the Windows operating system and prevent some of your programs from working.

-----------------------------------------------------

3. mazaprin

mazaprin Thread Starter

Thanks for your fast response. Let me explain something, I use a registry cleaner once a week along with Clean (all temps etc with Your Uninstaller and Tuneup Utilities) and Defrag (Diskeeper 2011) and clean the hard disk, etc and then I do a full system backup every week with Acronis True Image saved to an external Hard Drive and these backups have saved me many times when the pc will not boot and other system errors. I have been using Registry First Aid for many years and it is intuitive it wilkl only show errors that are safe to correct or delete with explanations and also others with yellow and red flags meaning you correct or delete at your own risk and I have tried the others including Registry Mechanic and found that they don't discriminate like RFA. when your registry becomes bloated with many errors and false paths and unused registry keys left by uncompletely uninstalled software surely you have to do something to clean it otherwise it will indeed slow your pc.
    I don't know what application you use to clean registry but I believe it should be cleaned every now and then and the point is to choose a good reliable cleaner. LL the applications and softwares I have on my pc are top of the line with 4 or 5 stars and recommended by experts like Acronis True Image, Diskeeper, Tuneup Utilities 2012, YourUninstaller 2011, Norton Security Suite 2011, Spybot, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Spywareblaster, etc... people that are not experts or knowledgeable need these applications which serve a purpose.

The pros and cons regarding the use of registry cleaners is at least debatable some experts say it is good and others say it is of no benefit and others that it will be on detriment of your pc. At least, for me, I have not had any problems or slowness on my PC due to it and I also have checked my entire system on PCPitstop Overdrive full test and everything is up to date and working fine.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You've got your mind set on using them, so I'm not going to debate the issue with you any further.

Myself and other long-time members have been involved in numerous threads in these forums where people have trashed their computers by using them.

--------------------------------------------------------

5. mazaprin

mazaprin Thread Starter

You tell me to not fret over some security update but of course I have to be somewhat worried because this is a security patch to prevent a hacker from taking control of my pc and you know that sometimes hackers can bypass your pc protection or enter thru a unprotected "hole" or port on your firewall. I am no expert but when an impiortant or critical security update does not install I try to solve the issue as fast as I can before I get hacked.

6. mazaprin

mazaprin Thread Starter

these people you talk about that btrashed their computers are run of the mill people that will use whatever is advertised on the marhket with false promises of making your pc a superpc overc;locking it and other dangerous tamperings. I am not like them I research carefully any application of software that I want to buy compare it with others of the like read the comments of users and make an educated decision.I have been using my softwares for years I am loyal to them because they have served me well but I respect your opinion.

7. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

My advice is to stay as far away as you possibly can from Registry Cleaners, Boosters, Optimizers, TuneUp Utilities... You'll only end up crippling programs and the operating system beyond repair! These programs are completely useless and will delete what they don't understand and legitimate files still in use.

Keep in mind that they will always find "errors" to fix, even on a fresh Windows installation!

Why I Don’t Use Registry Cleaners

Registry Cleaners and System Tweaking Tools

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic347491.html/page__p__1932993

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/997274-registry-got-messed-up-advanced.html

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice