Windows update locks up! Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bobber

When I try to update windows 90% of the time my browser locks up and I have to ctr-alt-del to end the process. The very few times I get to the update page and choose express install the appropriate updates are listed. When I press the install button the little window showing downlaod and install progress comes up but nothing happens. Nothing downloads. When I try to close the window or hit cancel things freeze up again and I have to ctrl-alt-del my way out again.
Using Windows XP with 2.53GHZ P4
Any suggestions?
Thanks

bobber

Well I managed to solve this puppy. I tried again to update and just let the PC sit there with the download screen up and apparently running but nothing happening. After about 20 minutes I saw that I had 10 outstanding downloads but all had download errors and were not downloaded. The error isted for each was 0x80246008. I searched the microsoft knowledgebase and saw that it meant that BITS was not set. When I ran services.msc I tried to enable BITS but got another error 2147024894. Checking that out I saw where I had to add a folder in my registry called 'FilesNotToBackup'. I did it and was able to enable BITS.
Well I rebooted and BINGO!! it worked and I was able to download and install all of the latest security updates.
Maybe others will solve there problem trying the above.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online