1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows update messed up my computer

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by IrishRose044, May 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IrishRose044

IrishRose044 Thread Starter

I have a Dell inspiron 15R laptop that originally came with Windows 8. I upgraded to Windows 10 when it first came out. I have updated everytime Windows has updated and had no problems until today. I received a message telling me that Windows needed to restart in order to install new updates. No problem has done before, anyway it took a very long time to update and then I got a blue screen asking me to chose a language, I did then it asked me to continue to windows rollback but it kept looping back to chose a language and continue to windows rollback, so I chose another operating system Windows 10. and it went through everything but I got the following error: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.." I researched this error and saw a few ways to solve it but it kept saying to see if there was 2 desktop files in my user folder and there is not. It will not allow me to reset to factory specs or anything It says there are no internet access either. I am sending this from my tablet. I would appreciate any help in easy to understand language please.

2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    I would going to command prompt (as administrator) ... type cmd in the windows search box ... wait until a blue box pops up above that says Command Prompt... right click on the blue box area and select "run as administrator" click "yes" ...then type the following in the command prompt box. chkskd c: /f (hit enter) let that run and see if it finds any errors on your drive.

3. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  4. Cfox27

Cfox27

5. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Create a restore point or backup your Registry First!
    1. Press Control + Alt + Delete
    2. Select Task Manager from the menu
    3. Select File, Run New Task, and type regedit.exe and hit enter
    4. Scroll to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Winlogon
    5. In the right-hand panel, scroll down, and find the key called "Shell". Make sure that, under the "Data" column, it says explorer.exe. If it doesn't, then right click on the Shell key and click "Modify" and change the value in this textbox to explorer.exe.

6. IrishRose044

IrishRose044 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help but I had to reinstall Windows and do the update again. But my computer is back to normal. Thanks again

7. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    That is probably the best way to fix it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice