1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update missing after installing W10 and then rolling back to W7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ZoneIII, Aug 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ZoneIII

ZoneIII Thread Starter

(Windows 7, 64-bit, all Windows Updates up-to-date as of two days ago before I installed Windows 10.)

This problem really has me at my wits end. I've spent hours on various forums trying to find a solution but have had no luck.

Yesterday, I installed the free Windows 10. The day before that, I created a backup image in case I didn't like W10 and wanted to roll back to W7.

Well, I didn't like W10 so I re-imaged to my W7 backup image. I immediately noticed that Windows Update wouldn't run. After doing some research, I found that Backround Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) was no longer in my services even though it was there in the backup image since Windows Update worked until I installed W10.

I ran sfc /scannow and Disk Check (with the feature to repair any problems found checked) but nothing was found with either tool

I then re-imaged to backup that was five weeks old. BITS was still not in my Services (?).

I did find a tool to reinstall Windows Update and, after running it, BITS did show up in my services although it's not there now because I did the second re-image after running the tool. But Windows Update still wouldn't run. It's set to automatic and it is running. Also, the dependencies are running too but Windows Update still won't run. When I try to download the MS fixit tool for Windows Update, I can't download it or run it even though I tried to get it from several different websites. If I click on Run, Save, or Run and Save, nothing happens.

My system is now re-imaged to the last image (the day before) I installed W10. Windows Update is not in Services but I saved a link to the tool that did get it back to Services although it didn't run even then.

I've read many threads about fixing this but nothing has worked. This all started when I installed W10 and then rolled it back to W7

BTW, I should mention that I checked to make sure Windows is activated. It is.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this as I really don't know what else to try.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What software did you use to make and restore the Windows 7 image ?

Did the image you made include the small System Reserved partition at the start of the hard drive ?

3. ZoneIII

ZoneIII Thread Starter

I used:

Control Panel/ Backup & Restore./ Recover System Settings your computer/ Advanced Recovery Methods/ Use a System Image you created earlier to recover your computer.

Yes, it did create a small system reserved partition.

It was always my understanding that restoring an image (as I mentioned above) will restore the entire drive to exactly how it looked when the image was created and it has always done just that when I have needed this feature in the past. This is the first time I have had a problem. The problem started after installing W10. What stumps me is why the Image Restore doesn't make the drive exactly as it was when the image was restored as it should do and has always done in the past. As I said, even when I restore to a backup image created 5 weeks ago, BITS is still missing (even though it wasn't when the image was created) and Windows Update won't run. This really does have me stumped.

4. ZoneIII

ZoneIII Thread Starter

I'm posting the fix I found for anyone else who may experience this problem.

First I had to recreate the Background Intelligent Transfer Service that was missing in Services. I did that with a tool that I found that recreates it. I have a link to that tool somewhere and, if I find it, I'll edit this post and include it. But it can be found by doing a search for "Background Intelligent Transfer Service is Missing." It should be one of the top his you get.

EDIT: You will find the tool to recreate BITS in this thread. The reason I'm posting the entire (short) thread is that there are a couple tools that people recommend and I'm not sure which one worked. It was probably the BITS one. But I know I tried them all and none of them did any damage so, if one doesn't work, try the next one.

After BITS was back in Services, I made sure it was set at Auto/Delay and also made sure Windows Updates was set the same way. I also made sure the dependencies were set to run too and made sure all of them were started.

Then, I did the following which someone came up with in another forum. That fixed things.

"This may simply be caused by a bad set of Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers -

Installing the Intel Rapid Storage Drivers
    try downloading and installing them from here - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=22194

(you want the iata_enu.exe download)"

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Thanks for posting the solution, hopefully it will help others with a similar problem.

(if you're sure it's fixed please mark this thread 'Solved')

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1153213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice