1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows Update never stops checking for updates

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Holly3278, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hey, everyone. About a week ago I did a factory restore on my computer to go back from Windows 10 to Windows 7. My computer came with Windows 7 x64. Here is the basic system information for my computer:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 215 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4863 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9100, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 584 GB (544 GB Free); D: 10 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, VIOLET6
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

So anyway, I was able to download and install numerous Windows Updates but then it started doing this thing where it never stops checking for Windows Updates. In other words, it continues checking for Windows Update for hours upon hours and never finishes. I am not sure what to do to fix this. I ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter from Microsoft and it found a couple of issues which it fixed but it was unable to fix one other issue. I can't recall what that issue was at the time but I am going to run it again here shortly to see if it will do the same thing again. I'll report back to you what it says it cannot fix if the error is reproduced.

2. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Alright, I ran the troubleshooter again and this time it did not identify any unsolved issues so I am trying Windows Update again. I'll let you all know how it goes.

3. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Alright, Windows Update is still doing the exact same thing that it did before. The problem is not solved and I could desperately use some help in fixing this.

4. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Hello Holly :)

It seems quite a hassle to update Win 7 these days from a fresh install, let alone the issues when the current rollup concept was being devised.
    Up dating one of my Win 7 systems last fall took over 24 hours to complete but settled down after that to mere minutes, so I imagine an update from a fresh install is excruciating.
    Maybe someone else has one of the methods I've tried but failed for me, but will work for you.
    However, for a future 'factory' reinstall, I've downloaded a convenience rollupdate from Microsoft as described here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how...l-at-once-with-microsofts-convenience-rollup/

and saved it for future reference.
    Maybe this will help you in your situation.

Good luck :)

John

5. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Thanks John! I appreciate it!

6. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

I have a question. When I let Windows Update check for updates do I need to leave the Windows Update window open or can I close it? I don't know if it will continue checking for updates in the background or not if I close the window.

7. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I don't know, but look in Task Manager to see what is running before and after closing Windows Update.

John :)

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Actually it pretty much is and you did a recovery so no need to do another one. Just download the updates and apply them as instructed, be sure or stop and restart the Windows Update service before each update as instructed in the guide. Start at step 2 and skip 3 is the only difference since you do have SP1 installed and I assume have all your drivers installed.

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Holly:

You appear to have a HP/Compaq brand computer.
    What model name and model number is it?
    What's the exact product number on it?
    Once it's correctly identified and its support site can be accessed, we'll know about how old it is and about how much of Windows 7 64-bit was installed in it when you did a factory reset.

The Windows 7 install and update guide that myself and askey127 created should work for you, even though you did a factory reset instead of a clean install.
    If you follow the steps carefully and correctly, you should be able to get Windows Update to work properly and get it up-to-date.

By the way, TODAY is "Patch Tuesday", so there should be one or more new updates released.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  12. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

My computer is an HP Pavilion.

Model Number: p6313w

Product Number: AY633AA-ABA

I can't remember exactly when it was bought but I believe it was bought in 2009 or 2010. When I did a factory restore it installed all of Windows 7 x64 but Service Pack 1 was not yet installed on it.

13. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HERE is the support site for your HP Pavilion p6313w Desktop PC.
    You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

According to its product specifications section, that model desktop was introduced in December 2009 and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
    The Service Pack 1 upgrade wasn't released until March 2011, so your desktop came with the original version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Your TSGSIU log in post #1 shows that you already installed Service Pack 1, but you can confirm that by looking at the system properties window.
    If "Service Pack 1" is listed underneath the Windows 7 version, then it's installed.

Capture.JPG

You can then go straight to step #2 of the Windows 7 install and update guide and work your way down the list.

----------------------------------------------------------------

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Tech Suport Guy System Info Utility info posted in post 1 is listing SP1 as installed.

15. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Yes, as I said in my original post, I was able to install numerous Windows Updates before Windows Update stopped working. Service Pack 1 was an update that I did manage to get installed before Windows Update decided to stop working on me.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1183560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice