Windows Update Nightmare

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Warthog1

Steve
Hi

Once again, I've allowed Microsoft to install a suite of updates and watched my Dell Inspron laptop PC slow to a crawl. I'm smarter than I used to be--saved a System Restore point before I let the MS update run so, as I've done the last three or four times, I watched my PC grind to a halt, went to System restore and selected my 'insurance' and it's now back to its normal peppy self.

I suppose I can do this aevery time one of these updates rears its ugly head, but I don't think each one should have this effect.

Is there anything I can do to either block the updates or set up my system so they don't cripple it each and every time. I appreciate the Updates have a purpose, but I'm not willing to put up with paralysis to let them sabotage my system.

Thanks

crjdriver

I know on enterprise it can be done and [I think] on pro. There is a big however on this one; it is a one way street. Once done, you do not get updates any longer.
Really I have never had a problem with updates on any of the systems here [two enterprise and three pro] two on older systems.
Is this by chance an old laptop that win10 is not a supported operating system?

If you really really want to stop updates, here are the instructions however again, you cannot undo the following except by clean installing windows.

Click your Start Button, type services and hit Enter

Scroll down to find Windows Update Service

If it is Started, double click it and stop that service

CLose the services App

Click your Start Button, type cmd, right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Run this command and hit Enter

sc delete wuauserv

Close Command Prompt

Restart your PC

If you also have the Update Assistant installed on your system:

The Update Assistant in Windows 10 cannot be uninstalled, but you can get rid of it

Click your Start Button, type Task Scheduler and hit enter
In the left Pane, navigate to: Windows - Update Orchestrater
Right Pane double click 'Update Assistant'
Click on Triggers Tab
On each of the triggers ( At login . . . etc.) double click and uncheck 'Enabled'

Under 'Update Assistant, there is another event 'Update Assistant CalendarRun'
Do the same for all triggers on that event

Restart your system, that's It!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!