1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Windows Update not running

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by fierrojr87, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fierrojr87

fierrojr87 Thread Starter

My computer has become infected and as soon as I realized it, I ran an Avast scan (or 100) and a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan (or 100 also). They were able to quarantine/remove whatever they found. I rebooted my system (Windows 7) and did more scans... nothing else was found. I've even performed a boot-time scan with Avast.

Even still, I cannot enable Windows Update, my Windows Defender was disabled (I've removed a suspicious registry key, and have since been able to re-enable Defender, but cannot run update for new definitions), and can only run certain malware scanners. For instance, Spybot was able to open, but cannot update definitions, so can't run scan; HiJackThis cannot run; ComboFix cannot run, etc.

I am at my wits end... someone please help!

2. fierrojr87

fierrojr87 Thread Starter

Nobody has any advice as to any other kind of scan to run or any other registry keys that may need to be [re]altered?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice