Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows update page will not load.

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jragsda 
#1 ·
I have Windows Vista Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 and the Windows update page will not load. No error messages it will not load. Any Microsoft help or support that leads to anything connected with Windows update will not load. I thought I was getting auto updates, but I am missing 8 important to critical updates. I have even tried downloading IE8 but it gets stuck on the Windows update.

What to do, what to do, what to do?

TIA

#2 ·
I was in your situation with Vista 32 for 3 months. First thing is to scan for malicious software/rootkits that may have turned off update. If you are confident that is not the cause, then you will need to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder in the Windows directory, something like SoftwareDistributionOld. You may have to first turnoff update in the Services (Administrative Tools) to do this. Reboot, and Update will recreate your SoftwareDistribution folder and you "may" then be able to update. Otherwise, like in my situation, you have a lot of heartache and google searching to do. I had to run a bits.reg routine to fix my bits (background Intelligent Transfer Services) in my registry; then I had to reregister a boatload of dll's. TurboTax 2008 had poorly installed and corrupted a number of files and registry entries.

Good luck.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.