1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by julesbg, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. julesbg

julesbg Thread Starter

The automatic update icon that sits in the tray to remind you to reboot your computer after updates won't go away. I have rebooted the computer on numerous occasions and it returns to the tray. If I go to windows update it says I can't do any updates until the last one is finalized.

Help...I have searched Microsofts Knowledge Base to no avail. This is my son's computer and he says he didn't go to windows update and the computer wasn't set to auto update.

Hope someone can help me!

Julie

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Can you get the exact error message

3. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

4. julesbg

julesbg Thread Starter

Here is the message I get.

[Error number: 0x8DDD0007]
    Windows Update cannot be displayed because your computer requires you to restart it in order to finish another process. For example, you may have installed a program or update recently. After restarting, click Start, and then click Windows Update.

My son had recently connected to the wireless community at his college and he said it downloaded some stuff. The Notification showed up in his tray saying that he needed to reboot his computer, and after every reboot it shows up again, and again, and again.

I followed that link and ran that program, how do I tell what is wrong on that page! Not too computer savvy!

Julie

5. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

That link will only work for the computer that has a problem, get him to do it. The MS updates section might show a problem

6. julesbg

julesbg Thread Starter

I ran it on his computer. I have it with me. Does that log show problems. It appears to be just information, not diagnostic.

7. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

No, if you look at the lower portioin of the log it has

verified Marks a HotFix that verifies correctly
    fails verification Marks a HotFix that fails verification

With red and green checkmarks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice