1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by markus2680, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markus2680

markus2680 Thread Starter

Hello. My brother just bought a new computer for his family to use, and it has Windows Vista Home Premium.
    Because I'm the resident computer expert, I came to his house and set up his computer for safety and security - installing and updating virus, spyware, and other malware protection on his computer. However, the last step I was to complete is proving impossible.
    Windows update will not let me download updates. When I choose the updates I want to install and click install, the windows update window freezes up for a minute or two, then begins "downloading"- showing me (0KB total - 0% completed) for several minutes before failing completely and giving me an error code 80246008.
    Windows Help told me that the problem lies with a service called Background Intelligent Transfer Service. I followed the instructions from windows help to correctly configure this service, but the problem still remains unsolved.
    One thing I did notice is that when I try to manually start the BITS service, a pop-up message appears telling me that the service started and then stopped, and that some services only run when in use by other services or programs.
    The service is on Automatic(Delayed Start), but I am guessing that it is not starting at all and thus not downloading the updates. Any clue as to what I can do?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice