1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Jay-Ranger, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jay-Ranger

Jay-Ranger Thread Starter

Hi,

Last night I installed an "essential" Windows update and shut down my computer. Today when I started it up, I got to the configuring updates screen, however it said configuring updates (3 of 3) which suggested to me that it had already configured previous ones, this seemed strange as I hadnt turned on the computer since installing the update. I did this when I was actually logged in, there wasnt a windows update shield over the shut down icon when I clicked it.

Anyway, rather than configuring this third update, the status just stays at 0% for about 30 seconds, before restarting my computer and doing the same thing all over again. I can't even get a restore point because for whatever reason my Windows Repair disc won't boot. It just beeps in the disc drive every 10 seconds. Without this safety net is there nothing else I can do to get my computer back to the state it was in before this update? I've already tried booting in safe mode and using the last known good configuration to no avail; I still got the configuration screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Jay-Ranger

2. Goodspeed2651

Goodspeed2651

Is your BIOS set to boot from the hard drive first? That could be why the repair disc won't boot.

3. Jay-Ranger

Jay-Ranger Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for your reply

The CD/DVD drive is set as the highest priority. I've tried selecting it manually from the boot menu but it still just goes straight to the HDD. Without the OS disc working I can't even take the most drastic measure of a clean OS installation. Looks like I'm totally out of luck. All the proposed solutions for the continuous startup loop seem to involve the OS disc that I can't boot from. Anyone with a miracle cure? :(

4. Goodspeed2651

Goodspeed2651

Well that sucks. When you are trying to boot from the OS disc do you see a message on the screen that says something like 'Press any key to boot from CD'? Most windows OS discs require you to press a key in order to boot from them. If it does not show the message then try hitting a key anyway. Your computer might not be displaying that message for whatever reason and just hitting a key when trying to boot from the CD could work.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919193

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice