1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows update removed my printer!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ginnyb730, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ginnyb730

ginnyb730 Thread Starter

I recently installed a Windows XP update on my computer...it was overdue, since I had to purchase additional external memory and remove some of the stuff already taking up space.
    However, after the update finished (and it took most of a day's time), my printer was no longer there......nothing in the printer folder. I tried to add it, and I got a message telling me that it could not be completed....printer spooler service not active.........I dont' know anything about this, as I do not "spool" my printer.........can anyone help me??????? Please?????:confused:

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Most all printers use the spooler service. If you go into the service section you will see a Print Spooler option. Check the status and make sure that is turned on. Also you may want to try a complete reboot after the update it may have updated somthing in relation to the print spooler.

3. Ratboy

Ratboy

ginnyb730,

Welcome to TSG!

To start the Print Spooler service as StumpedTechy suggests:

Right-click the My Computer icon and select Manage.
    Expand the Services and Applications section (click the small +) and select Services.
    In the pane on the right, double-click Print Spooler.
    For the Startup type: select Automatic.
    Click OK, close any open windows and reboot computer.

4. ginnyb730

ginnyb730 Thread Starter

:)Hi, RatBoy!
    You're a TRUE GENIUS!!! I did exactly as you instructed, and IT WORKED!!! I'm so happy!!!
    Thank you and your team soooooooo much!!!
    (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/796982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice