Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows Update > The page failed to load

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  markomus 
#1 ·
I'm working on my mom's computer remotely via LogMeIn (Home Premium SP2). A persistent problem is an inability to update the system due to the Windows Update giving me a "The page failed to load" error. This happens after I click on the "15 optional updates are available" hyperlink in the Windows Update pane. There are no critical updates.

An initial Google search returned the most common cause as being "WindowBlinds" by Stardock. This program, however, is not installed on her computer (verified by a search of programs in the "All Programs" links, "Program Files" folder, "Uninstall or change a program", and a search for "stardock" in the registry.

"sfc /scannow" in administrative mode on the command line failed to return any errors.

I also went to Microsoft's relevant Knowledge Base article here and attempted to use the Fix It program to fix Windows Update. The program successfully ran and fixed the files that were damaged (whatever they happened to be), but this did not solve the issue.

Finally, I removed threats using SUPERAntiSpyware, reregistered some .dll files as recommended by Microsoft (IMPORTANT NOTE: Some of them failed), and restarted with non-essential services disabled and startup items disabled.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.