1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update vs. Microsoft Update -- which is better?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bloomcounty, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bloomcounty

bloomcounty Thread Starter

So Microsoft has this new "Microsoft Update" thing you can install or whatever, which I guess is like Windows Update plus other updates for Microsoft products? I'm a bit leery of switching to that because it sounds like you end up letting Microsoft look at all the software on your computer, etc. Is that correct?

What's the benefit of it?

I don't go to suspicious or dangerous websites, I don't open any attachments or emails I don't recognize. I use ZA and AVG (free versions), as well as Ad-Aware SE and SpyBot and run a check every week or two.

Is there really any reason to risk compatibility or other problems with updates to anything other than Wondows? Is there really any good reason to update my Microsoft Office 2003 that I just installed?

(And I'm still hesitant to install this GDI+ Detection Tool that Windows Update wants me to install...)

Any thoughts or information?

Thanks!

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Microsoft Update includes updates for Office ( and may some other M/S apps ) . . keeps you from having to go looking for Office updates . . one stop shoping.

If you do not trust Microsoft, why in the world use Windows?????

3. bloomcounty

bloomcounty Thread Starter

It's not really a trust issue... It's just that I read here and there that updates for Office or other things can start causing problems with other software... and I'm not really clear on how vital these MS Office updates are, if I don't go to suspicious or dangerous websites, I don't open any attachments or emails I don't recognize. I use ZA and AVG (free versions), as well as Ad-Aware SE and SpyBot and run a check every week or two.

Why mess with something if it's not vital to mess with it, you know? I'm not computer expert, so that's what I'm trying to figure out...

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

The updates you get are all security related . .I have not heard of any issues with any of them.

Hope that helps . .

5. grandma77

grandma77

Also many of the updates fix their programs in places where they are vulnerable to virus's and stuff. It is for your own protection.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice