1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update will download updates, but not install them

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Fray15, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fray15

Fray15 Thread Starter

I've recently repaired my OS (yes, as in repaired in boot setup via the CD...) and now Windows Update doesn't seem to work anymore!

Automatic Updates or manual updates, it doesn't seem to make a difference, I have downloaded all the critical/high priority updates from Microsoft Update, but every time I try to install them, the message reads simply 'Some of the updates could not be installed' (ie: ALL of them! - see attached images)

I've scoured Microsoft Update for ANY form of help for this, to no avail, there is no apparent error code to reference! Microsoft Update worked fine, until I experiecned an error with 'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' on shutdown last month, which was rectified by the repair...

Any thoughts?... :(

Attached Files:

2. cams-dad

cams-dad

Give this a shot. I've used this to flush out all "waiting to be installed" updates to force XP to download them again.

Make a batch file called fixsvc.cmd, save it at the root of c, and paste the following REGSVR32 commands into it:

REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL
    REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
    REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
    REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
    REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
    REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
    REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
    REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

Restart in safe mode so the automatic update service doesn't start
    Run fixsvc.cmd and ok as each item is registered
    Browse to the windows directory and rename the "SoftwareDistribution" directory to "OldSoftwareDistribution", it will be recreated on the next normal start up.
    Reboot.

3. Fray15

Fray15 Thread Starter

Um... How do I make the batch file?... Conveniently, I have no idea how... Sorry! :) Thanks for the idea!

4. CCT

CCT

Use notepad - cut and paste the script he gave you then save the page to C:\ as fixsvc.cmd

5. Matt B

Matt B

Same problem as mine, almost, my problem started after an automatic update which caused the system not to boot in any mode. Contacted MS tech support, and was told to use the repair procedure from the install CD. This worked to began with, then when I downloaded and install the updates, all the update installed failed. The problem is the repair loads the wrong version of the UPDATE AGENT, :eek: Oops. Of course use these tips at your own risk. My computer still wont boot after loading the updates, waiting for further response from MS tech support.:mad: Good luck(y)
    Tech support e-mailed these suggestions,
    Suggestion 1: Clean up Windows Update temporary folder
    ===========================================
    1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.
    2. Net stop WuAuServ
    3. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
    In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.
    Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.
    4. Net start WuAuServ
    5. If the issue still persists, please move on to suggestion 2.
    6. Suggestion 2: Reinstall Windows Update Agent 3.0
    ======================================
    1. Please download the file from the following link:http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30- x86.exe
    2. Save the file to C: drive.
    3. Click Start->Run, type: "C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce" (without quotations) and then press Enter to install the Windows Update engine
    4. There is a space between "C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" and "/wuforce"
    5. Note: If you are using Windows Vista, please save the downloaded file to the D: drive, because the file cannot be launched directly from the C: root directory.
    6. If it still does not work, please proceed to suggestion 3 to reinstall Windows Installer 3.1.
    Suggestion 3: Reinstall Windows Installer 3.1
    ==================================
    1. Press Start and choose Run.
    2. Type in "cmd" (without quotation marks) and press OK.
    3. In the command line, type in the following command and press Enter:
    MSIexec /unregister
    4. Then, type in the following command and press Enter:
    MSIexec /regserver
    After finishing the above steps, please check the result again. If the issue persists, please click Start, click Control Panel, and click Add/Remove Programs to check if Windows Installer 3.1 has been installed. If it has, please highlight and remove it. After that, please reinstall Windows Installer 3.1 from the following link.
    Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=889482fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd41 38c&DisplayLang=en

6. Fray15

Fray15 Thread Starter

Thanks cams-dad and CCT, I'll give it a go tomorrow if, as and when I get the chance! :)

Cheers Matt B, I'll let you know if I have any luck with anything! (y)

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

I had a problem on a friends computer that when going thru windows update when it checks for any updated versions it gores thru the active X download and install and is not successful. The solution to this was to turn-off spybot s&d, teatimer, and the anti-virus programs. Then run windows update and hopefully it will work

8. Fray15

Fray15 Thread Starter

Well folks, thankyou all very much for your help, MS Update is now working again! :D

I turned Virusscan off (MaAfee VSE) and tried clearing the Update temporary files, to no avail... Then I reinstalled the Update Agent from the link from Matt B and Update managed to download AND INSTALL :)) ) all but one of the critical updates (the exception being a security update for MS .NET framework 1.0 - hopefully because I've got the latest version of .NET framework?...)

Thanks for your time and your input everyone!:D
    (y) (y) (y)

9. Fray15

Fray15 Thread Starter

10. Saniman

Saniman

Confirmed ... I must truly be a beginner.
    When I click on these links, both result in web page can't be found.
    I have this exact issue and would like to fix.
    Sad to say, I think I need it spelt out a little clearer.

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

When trying that page I get page not found type thru both IE and Firefox.

12. Fray15

Fray15 Thread Starter

Oh, so it does...:eek: sorry about that! In that case, what I did originally is open the link from Matt B in a new tab/window, then edit the address bar, adding x86.exe

When you press enter/return/go after doing this, the download dialog should pop up... :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/602646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice