1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows update woes!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nutnhuny, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

:mad:

I was looking at my windows update history! It's quite the history!..from june 8, 2006 until now, i have 234 ....Many are the exact same ...they just repeat themselves...like
    - MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB927978) ( i stopped counting at around 80 ??? - :eek: same with KB915597 just as many of these!! Is this normal...should i be removing some of these repeats?! wouldn't it be taking up unnecessary space? :confused: i dunno! ..someone please comment! thanks ....Joanne

2. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

and i'm getting just now another "windows has 14 new updates ready to install!? this is nuts...! can't be!! i have windows xp internet explorer 7...could that be the reason???

3. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

set your WINDOWS UPDATE on---"notify me but don't automaticaly download or install them"

in the CONTROL PANEL---SECURITY CENTER

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Microsoft released a slew of updates Tuesday . .

5. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

odin and simpswr ...k i did set my windows update as you suggested...should i, however remove all the duplicate ones? or just leave them?....and one more stupid question..how do i know which ones i should dl and which ones i could just ignore?....

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

I would not remove any of them . . most are security related and you would open your system to bugs. The duplicates are re-releases of the same problem. I reccomend downloading all the "High Priority" (formerly called Critical ) updates, pick and choose the "Software, Optional" (formerly called Reccomended ) and none of the Hardware ones ( those should come from the manufacturer )

Unlike some others, I set all the pc's to automatically download and to let me choose when to install. . . I have yet to have a problem with a Microsoft Update.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice